Class D amps vs Valve amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No other Guitar amplifier technology can compete with a valve amplifier.

The richly harmonic sound of a valve guitar amp in overdrive cannot be imitated by a class D guitar amplifier.

So why are people bothering to make class D guitar amplifiers?

Are you just trolling the boards? Do you even know what a guitar amps is?

The point is that a guitar amp is not a loudspeaker and amplifier in one cabinet, it's part of an instrument including the guitar itself and effects. Class D amps can be the best choice for a guitar amp depending on the sound you want to achieve. And especially in bass guitar amps that require higher power levels they're generally much better suited than valve amps.

I agree Class D is cheaper and more efficient.

But then, given this, why are most guitar amplifier companies still making more Valve guitar amplifiers.?

It is because the Valve sound is necessary for the best quality guitar amplifier sound.

No. It's because most guitarists are tech illiterate and ultra conservative. They're generally looking for vintage this and vintage that, regardless if it's actually a good product beyond it's apparent age.

There will not be much sales, now and for a long time a class D guitar amp but I have heard and built guitar amps that are far better than any valve based guitar amps can ever be but that's because they match the sound I want to achieve and I simply can't stand the soggy midbass and foul midrange of a vintage guitar amps that usually has valves at least 10 years past their prime.

It's also a matter of matching the right driver to the right amp. A class D amp will generally sound pretty foul with many guitar speakers but you can achieve excellent results with better drivers, like Eminence Basslite CH2010 in dual or quad on a TA2020 amp with a valve input stage sound superb for modern rock and jazz.

Last edited:
Granted about Bass Amplifiers.........my apologies, i am referring to six string guitar amplifiers here...

We know that Blackstaramps are among the very finest quality guitar amplifiers in the world....that is indisputable.
-And the current range are ALL Valve guitar amplifiers.

Look at the guitar amplifiers that get used in recording studios to actually record songs.......these are always newly built valve guitar amplifiers

...because the highest quality is needed for that.

Granted about Bass Amplifiers.........my apologies, i am referring to six string guitar amplifiers here...

We know that Blackstaramps are among the very finest quality guitar amplifiers in the world....that is indisputable.

Ok. I almost chocked on my coffee there. Bass guitars are 6 or 5 strings as well. And how can you even say that one guitar amp is better than another. I doubt you have ever played guitar in your life. Every guitarist chose his guitars, effects and amps according to the sound he wants to achieve. There is no objective check list here. It all depends on the sound you want.

Try and learn a few chords, and test a few amps, then come back and talk about guitar amp does and don'ts.

You opinion only - certainly NOT disputable - I've never even heard of them, never mind seen one.

Look at the guitar amplifiers that get used in recording studios to actually record songs.......these are always newly built valve guitar amplifiers

...because the highest quality is needed for that.

Which is why high quality solid state amps are commonly used for recording (even for many top guitarists who use valve amps on stage) - valve amps are used to give low quality, that's their purpose.

Hi, just a few thoughts.

Surely this is a totally subjective debate, even down to what one regards as high or low quality? It depends on your values as a performer and as a listener. Saying 'valve amps are used to give low quality, that's their purpose' is equally as meaningless and unprovable as saying only valve amps 'get used in recording studios to actually record songs'. I've used/recorded numerous examples of both (and some hybrids too), in the studio and live, and they both have their valuable characteristics.

One is not categorically or intrinsically higher or lower 'quality' (whatever that means) than the next, it depends entirely on application i.e A) what the guitarist wants and B) what works best for the song/mix.

The terms 'hi-fi' or 'lo-fi' are not often used in the context of guitar amplification anyway, at least not when referring solely to the sound produced by one amp ('lo-fi' is often associated with a genre of music in which you tend to find a certain type of guitar sound), but if we were to take the argument over to the world of 'hi-fi' equipment, where 'quality' has a much more clearly defined meaning; at the high end you can find 'audiophiles' using a range of gear, both solid-state and tube, and they'll swear by examples of both.

In my opinion the key factors are design, build quality, and the quality/reliability of the components used (regardless of whether it's valve or class-D).

It is true, the vast majority of mass produced class-D guitar amps are cheaper, but that price range also tends to reflect the overall build/component quality, often using cheaply produced PCBs and assembled somewhere in the orient, however, you can buy solid-state amps that are very highly regarded. Dimebag Darrel almost exclusively used solid-state amps by Randall, Crate have a lot of admirers for their solid state amps, Marshall made the ModeFour amps (which are actually hybrid) and none of these amps are cheap.

It's all down to the ears and depends on the context of the sound: what does a recorded valve amp sound like when played through a solid-state hi-fi, or vice-versa?

B

The original premise assumes some universal standard. There is none. There are great players who prefer tube amp, and great players who prefer solid state amps. Arguing over why they continue to make tube amps or continue to make class D amps is like aguing why a restaurant still serves fish when clearly beef is better. (or vice versa if you wish)

And hybrid makes the point too. A strong clean class D power amp can be coupled to a nice all tube preamp for all the tubiness you want. You won;t get power tube overdrive from it, but you will get preamp tube overdrive. Power tube overdrive only occurs when the power amp is driven flat out, and most players do not max all the knobs on their amps anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.