Upside Down Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought an all-tube guitar amp, and after running it for a while, the front panel was getting REALLY hot. Stop the presses, right? Anyway, there is a big opening in the back with all the electronics up at the top of the space. I decided to turn the amp upside down, and see if it stayed cooler. Mission accomplished, but after jinxing myself with that famous phrase, I started wondering if I was doing some damage. Based on my cursory inspection, the tubes are stuck into the bottom of the other electronics in the normal amp orientation. I guess this means the tube are upside down, and by turning the amp over, they are now right-side up. Based on what I've read, this seems to be the happiest way for tubes to exist, plus the other components aren't getting cooked. Have I answered my own question? Maybe, but I'd be doubly blessed if some of the tube gods would deign to offer their approval, or equally useful, point out where I've gone wrong in running my amp upside down.

As far as I know, all tubes can be run upside down (so long as they don't fall out of their sockets !!). The issue is more that some tubes can only be operated on their sides if they are rotated to a certain orientation so that there isn't any chance of hot wires inside the tube from sagging under gravity in the wrong direction.

Seems to me you've solved your problem.

Some tube data sheets include specifications about things like correct orientation, minimum spacing and the approved rotation of tube sockets. Many (most?) guitar amp manufacturers seem to have nothing but contempt for such tedious minutiae and cobble their amps together just as they see fit, possibly viewing cooked capacitors as a rite of passage for their products.

Fender, Marshall and countless other combo amps are made with inverted tubes and they work more or less reliably. Maybe they're less reliable than the corresponding head amps which have the tubes the other way up? And maybe someone will argue that the heat cooks extra tone into the tubes and makes you play like Jimi Hebdrix.

I wouldn't worry about it. And your amp will look silly upside down.

It's a pretty common configuration for guitar amps.

I agree, it's a VERY common configuration for guitar combos - simply because it makes the physical construction easier (and cheaper) - it has no effect on the sound at all.

I don't think I've ever seen a plain amp (guitar or otherwise) with the valves upside down, it's easier (and cheaper again) to have them the right way up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.