Keyboard output circuit - stereo/mono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried to search for a topic/thread on this and didn't really find one...

when a keyboard or sound module has stereo outputs labeled as follows:

Left/mono - Right

what is the typical internal circuitry that makes the signal mono when a cable is plugged only in the LEFT/MONO output?

Hi,

Yuo can't simply connect two separate outputs together to derive a mono mixed version.

There has to be some additional complication, e.g. the switching on the right socket
is some form of control signal that goes back to some digitally controlled mixer.

Or the mono signal is simply the left channel only ......

rgds, sreten.

Hi, it will be L only or properly mixed L+R depending on how its done. Rgds, sreten.

(A lot of stuff is essentially mono, with the only stereo being effects e.g. reverb.
In these cases often mono out is simply the mono signal with only left effects,
the (missing) right channel being the mono signal with right effects. This was
typical of many reverbs. L and R in being mixed to mono first, any stereo
in the output was due to the reverb processing applied.)

Last edited:
okay thanks makes sense. How about a signal on a digital piano where the sampled piano was either sampled in stereo, or the sampled sound has been applied across the stereo spectrum? Is there a proper way to combine the R&L stereo signal to mono so that it doesn't sound out of phase? Thanks.

ultimately, trying to use Yamaha P95 which has no line outs, only headphone outs. Unable to find a service manual, etc.. that shows a typical circuitry. Wanting to take the stereo headphone out and make it a mono signal to run through a mono keyboard amp. Don't necessarily want to just solder left and right audio signal wires together to get mono - doesn't sound right.

Hi,

It isn't right. Run a stereo headphone cable to the mono amplifier. At the
mono amplifier end of the cable inside the mono plug : for each channel,
wire a 100R resistor in series and then join the two channels after that :
then add a 33R* resistor to ground pin from that point: also connect
that common point to the mono + pin of the input plug.

edit : In fact with such low resistances you could do this the stereo plug
end of the cable and use a mono cable. 100R in series with each channel
,then joined and then feeding the cable with a 33R to ground /shield.

edit : In fact the headphone output very probably has protection / level
dropping resistors such that you can safely short L and R together, as
inserting a mono jack will ground the right channel. Level may be too high.

You'd have saved a lot of time simply stating your problem ....

rgds, sreten.

* May need to reduce this if input is too high and noisy, should be alright.

Last edited:
Yamaha P-95 preamp circuit

I traced my P-95's preamp circuit as the main IC amplifier(LA4625) went bad. Didn't follow the actual component numberings though. And then I inserted a simple buffer as shown in the attachment as my LINE OUT. Serves me right. :)

Attachments

• Yamaha P-95 Line Out.sch.pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 69
Hi,

Yuo can't simply connect two separate outputs together to derive a mono mixed version.

It depends.:rolleyes:
You can't connect 2 pure voltage source outputs (such as 2 power amp ones) together, doubly so if they carry different signals (remember, Stereo)
But the standard way to do so is to add a mid/low resistor in series with each , think 470 ohms as a typical value.

And if the keyboard or mixer is labelled so, it's obvious that it has already been included at the Factory.

There has to be some additional complication, e.g. the switching on the right socket
is some form of control signal that goes back to some digitally controlled mixer.
:eek:
Don't overthink it :rolleyes:
It's a very simple problem which has been solved for decades (as in over 60 years ago, go figure, just look at the typical 220K channel or reverb mixing resistors in any old Fender amp)
Not much digital power way back then ;)

Or the mono signal is simply the left channel only ......
What a ridiculous suggestion.:D

You can't connect 2 pure voltage source outputs (such as 2 power amp ones) together, doubly so if they carry different signals (remember, Stereo)

But a keyboard isn't a power amplifier, and generally are designed to simply join the two channels together to give a mono output - they either have in-built series resistors for mixing them together (as per the crude mixer suggested throughout this thread), or the inherent output impedances of the two channels do the same job.

Just out of interest, you can connect two voltage source signals together in series, provided they are ungrounded.
A friend wanted to run a very retro mono speaker from both stereo channels of a modern solid state amp. I recommended he try putting the two outputs and the speaker all in series. It has worked fine ever since.
Sorry if this is a bit off-thread.

Just out of interest, you can connect two voltage source signals together in series, provided they are ungrounded.
A friend wanted to run a very retro mono speaker from both stereo channels of a modern solid state amp. I recommended he try putting the two outputs and the speaker all in series. It has worked fine ever since.
Sorry if this is a bit off-thread.

But that only plays the difference between the two channels, ignoring any common signals - and is the crude and nasty way that you can add a third 'rear' speaker to a stereo system (to give 'vaguely' surround effects).

But a keyboard isn't a power amplifier, and generally are designed to simply join the two channels together to give a mono output - they either have in-built series resistors for mixing them together (as per the crude mixer suggested throughout this thread), or the inherent output impedances of the two channels do the same job.

Fully agree, and that's what I'm saying. :)

The pure voltage example was expressly mentioned as a contrasting situation.

Unfortunately, if not what I said could be taken as a blanket statement, so common here, usually leading to >600 angry post threads where the possible answers in fact are 3: yes , no , and maybe and usually offered within the first 10 posts :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.