Switchable Hi-Z input impedance, how ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no, I guess not...if you like the sound when the jack falls out at full blast :eek::D

Still not 'unsafe' - and you only get a very brief 'blip' as it falls out anyway - but I can't say I've ever seen a guitar where the lead easily falls out?.

As AndrewT said, replacing the jack with a locking XLR would 'cure' it, but perhaps improving your playing style might be all that's needed?.

Why accept a lesser standard on other portable equipment?
That's a question to anyone that can explain the existence of ¼" trs, other than being "cheap skate".

Why spend extra on an expensive connector when a cheaper one is perfectly satisfactory? - and 1/4 inch jacks were used on mikes for many years as well.

As you don't need a balanced connector on a guitar, that's another reason not to use an XLR.

Reverting to the previous 'unsafe' comments, a locking XLR on a guitar is probably far MORE 'unsafe' than a jack - where a jack plug will pull out if excessively strained, a locking XLR won't, perhaps making you fall over, or pulling heavy equipment on top of you (both far more unsafe than the jack harmlessly falling on the floor).

Neutrik makes locking 1/4'' jacks as well.
One place where I really don't like standard 1/4'' jacks is on amp's speaker connection. That or banana plugs on PA systems. That is potentially dangerous. Neutrik Speakon connectors with twist locking are very good, fast to set up and better connection.

Still not 'unsafe' - and you only get a very brief 'blip' as it falls out anyway -

If you have an active instrument with the standard power switching scheme the full battery voltage hits the tip as the plug comes out and the tip contacts the middle connection on the jack. That can and will blow drivers in some cases, and definitely sounds horrendous IME.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• IMG_9603.JPG
    IMG_9603.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 80
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
If you have ....

regarding 'pulling out' jack cable with power on

there is a perfectly logical explanation why 'we' hear what is almost like a pistol shot, while some only hear what is more like a 'small blop'

I know you and me both use multiway fullrange speaker designs ;)

I came to this 'conclusion' because I experienced my tone control having no real audible effect when playing on 2khz midwoofers :scratch2:

and btw ... this happens also with passive pickups ... difference is speakers

don't know :scratch2:

maybe it works like intended ... and if so, that is definately not very good 'intentions' :p
either its just crap, or its got an error

but before ripping out its guts I will try and connect pickups through exstern pot and jack ;)

It's funny how everyone else in the world buys a bass and it works perfectly, yet you seem to claim every single one you ever buy is faulty?.

Have you considered the problem is that you can't play them? :spin:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
3 weeks ago I bought this bass

only made small changes, and adjustments
and apart from the feeling of ripping off my shoulder, its been a very nice experience
fully passive like I want it
feels very nice, and plays easy and fast, and with very long sustain when needed

Attachments

• IMG_9629.JPG
    IMG_9629.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 67
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
but the jack plug is crap

definately have to be changed

new jack plug(Allparts) for my cheap J&D 5 string
and this one holds on to the jack like it will never let go :D

and a nice DPDT switch (2-pole, ON-ON)
for choosing series or parallel connecting of the P split coil pickup on my new Squier Fender

its parallel connected now, which definately sounds cleaner, and faster
but I also thought the original series connection had 'something'

Attachments

• IMG_9652.JPG
    IMG_9652.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.