Switchable Hi-Z input impedance, how ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
It has no effect at all - it's purely imaginary

its funny, but every time you have said that, I have tested it, just to see if you could be right

but no, I have to disappoint you and say; it does make a small difference

with balance turned towards the bass output connected to the woofer amp, I get a bit more forward low bass
and at the same time the upper register turns slight dry, with the pitch going down a just bit on the sustain
not easily heard, but the change is there, 100%

turning balance pot the other way, towardsmid/tweeter output, connected to ....the pitch stays up with more prolonged sustain
at the same time the low bass seems to get a bit more smooth and soft, with less attack

small changes
but you know how these small things matter when playing the finer tunes ;)

btw, increasing the series resistor after attenuation pot to 470ohm made it slightly brighter, and more airy

Attachments

• bass pre fet rev att balance.png
    bass pre fet rev att balance.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 32
its funny, but every time you have said that, I have tested it, just to see if you could be right

but no, I have to disappoint you and say; it does make a small difference

with balance turned towards the bass output connected to the woofer amp, I get a bit more forward low bass
and at the same time the upper register turns slight dry, with the pitch going down a just bit on the sustain
not easily heard, but the change is there, 100%

Sorry, I don't believe you, the difference is absolutely too small to measure, never mind hear.

You're not helping your cause by using imaginary meaningless terms like 'forward' and 'dry' either.

turning balance pot the other way, towardsmid/tweeter output, connected to ....the pitch stays up with more prolonged sustain
at the same time the low bass seems to get a bit more smooth and soft, with less attack

small changes
but you know how these small things matter when playing the finer tunes ;)

btw, increasing the series resistor after attenuation pot to 470ohm made it slightly brighter, and more airy

More imaginary terms :D

Why not just wire the pan pot correctly - just add four resistors (or just the first two would do) - with your 4.7K pot, drop the 3.3K resistors to 1.5K or 1.8K, this would then give you a proper working pan pot.

Consult the circuit attached.

Attachments

• pan_pot.gif
    pan_pot.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 34
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry, I don't believe you.....

no, thats very clear, but thas fine with me
I know it works as described
but with a distorted guitar its not likely to work

You're not helping your cause .....

actually, it works so nice that I still consider something similar in my next preamp, but with a 5 position rotary switch instead

and ofcourse combined with additional seperate channel attenuators

Hi tinitus, looking at the blend balance control and wondering if you consider to add some signal filtering at that stage? Maybe look at rolling off some of the real low frequency to the mid tweeter stage, and cutting some high freq to woofer stage. Not sure if you plan to have EQ past the first two or not, so just suggestion..

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hello shanx
been quite happy playing though the latest shown version

but removing a hifi preamp/buffer for other purpos have shown that its time to work on that buffer output

I am now driving my poweramps directly with just a single jfet boz
no gain control or any other att
only the bass guitar onboard att pot
the gain is excessive I can barely touch it..its pretty exstreme
and its only with passive pickups
needless to say, a bit noisy too

so Im now working on a simple BJT buffer with a single BC547
just to try it

looking at another alternative 'angle'
it also shows that I can easily drive a 3way active crossover with a simple jfet

hopefully soon will work on the curcuits I got from Juma

Attachments

• IMG_8774.JPG
    IMG_8774.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 36
I am glad you like playing through it. Sometimes better to have without tone circuit, depending on your preference of course. I am still working on my jfet preamp, and agree that for bass you could easily overdrive the stages..but which for guitar is not necessarily a bad thing! But I am still trying some simple tone shaping methods with interesting results. Good luck on the BJT build and keep us posted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.