Switchable Hi-Z input impedance, how ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
depends what you mean by quality

distortion seem to be a key element of good quality guitar sound :D

Except we're talking bass, not guitar - remember? :p

but the question is, how to differ between low quality and high quality distortion
and the difference really is there, we know that
but its still distortion
and often exstreme

There's no such thing as 'quality' distortion, by definition it lowers quality. Some guitarists want distortion for some styles of playing, I've no problem with that at all, in fact I'm all for it - heavy metal would be a sad thing wihout it :D

But it's far rarer for bass, not many want distorted bass, even the heavy metal crowd.

thats my point ;)

bass guitar needs only small amounts of distortion

No, it's needs none at all, unless you're aiming for some specific effect?.

and not really audible when playing with others
a very different from what a guitarist needs

non distorted is really not a possible option, is it ?

Distortion well below the range of hearing is easily possible, and most bass amps provide that.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ahhh

found this on Alan Kimmel site

Because most MOSFETs are enhancement-mode types and cannot be self biased, we must supply fixed bias to it. This does not compromise the performance in any way. We want the MOSFET's source terminal lobe at about half the B+; therefore, our fxed bias must also be half the B+. We can derive this bias voltage by using a simple voltage divider of two equal-value (say, 220k)) resistors in series. Connect one end of the voltage divider to B+ and the other end to ground with a 1-5uF capacitor across the lower resistor.

The junction of the two resistors will be the fixed bias supply point to which gate resistor Rg2 will he connected. This simple arrangement has given excellent results. However, if you do not want a voltage divider, you can use a zener string for Q1's fixed bias voltage source. Operate zeners at about 20% of their maximum current rating and use a 10uF capacitor to bypass the zener string. If you build a stereo pair or a push/pull pair of Mu Stages, the same voltage divider (or zener string) can serve both. No interaction will result.

what instrument are you playing :confused:

I don't play anything, but my daughter plays bass, piano, keyboards, flute, guitar, piano accordian, drums, and she sings - and has gigged on them all.

I just do the PA :D

I've seen, used, and repaired MANY bass amps and combos, they don't add distortion.

Often we just DI the bass directly in to the PA, no on-stage monitors either.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ok
then you should know that distortion is part of the sound of a musical instrument

and with electric instruments, you rely on electronics
and there nothing goes completely without some amount of distortion

PA should not distort, ofcourse
neither should PA microphone amps, recording gear, etc

but music itself is 'distortion', thats the point ;)

fore some time I have also claimed that a good amp can be judged by the way its able to reproduce any kind of distortion fed into it
and that goes even fore hifi, or especially there
because music is full of 'distortion'

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
getting closer :scratch2:

Attachments

• 12oooooBFbi.png
    12oooooBFbi.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 86
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Isnt one out inverted?

seems you are right
I didnt know that

I was missing a reg in a heater power supply kit I bought long time ago from Broskie
of course he said, "anything else you want" :devilr:

so I ordered the new kit, aikido mono solo, all in one with onboard supply :D

with a couple of ecc82 I hope it will make a nice frontend '12db-booster'
but Im all ears if theres any other suggestion how to use it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.