Scratchy sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just tried posting this same question a few minutes ago, and even though it appeared to be submitted, it's not showing up in the threads. If it pops up twice, I apologize.

Okay, having a problem with my Peavey Classic 50 Head. I'm getting a strange, scratchy, distorted sound when I play low notes or chords. Sounds the way a scratchy potentiometer would sound. Happens on both the clean and dirty channels. I have replaced all the tubes and the problem persist. Any ideas?

Thanks-
Jim

Tube amps are rather dangerous. You need to read the hv thread for newbies at the head of the tube forum, or aikenamps.com technical resources button, technician safety button. You probably have a loose connection, either a potentiometer, or something else. Poking around at things with a plastic stick or a dry wooden dowel, to see if the scratch is located a particular place, would probably be safe. If it is a potentiometer, try spraying it out before replacing it. Aliphatic hydrocarbon contact cleaner from the lumberyard is highly flammable, no smoking, open flame or pilot lights, electricity turned on or off within 30' of the spray. Non-flammable contact cleaner from the electrical supply house (contains brominated or florinated hydrocarbons) dissolves PVC plastic contained in consumer devices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.