Should I buy an original SHURE SM57 or immitation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
It all depends on your application. If you are using the mic in a live gigging situation, then go for the real thing, as they are very robust, and this is probably where corners have been cut in a cheaper mic.

If you are just using it in a home studio application, then go for the one that sounds the best to you when you audition them. However, I have to say, I am unfamiliar with any other mic that has the unique sound of the 57.

I would also recomend the original version, rather than the Beta57 model, if you have the choice.

What will you be using it for? I might be able to suggest other mics that would work for you.

...advice...

Hi Pinkmouse

My son wants me to buy him a mic. He wants one he can use for:

1) vocals to record or do small gigs

2) Guitar / Bass recording off speaker

3) Acoustic instrument recording (piano, violin, chello, etc.)

When recording he tends to capture one instrument at a time (since he plays most of them...)

Could you recommend a few to consider? Budget up to £100 max. £50 is better :)

Thanks

James

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi James

Well, the SM57 will work for vocals and electric instruments, as will the SM58, which is tonally more suited to male vocals, but also slightly more expensive.

However for accoustic instuments, you really need a decent condenser mic, but that relies on having phantom power. If you can get one second hand, an AKG C1000, or even C900 would work for both vox and instrument, but new they are a little expensive for your budget.

You could also contact this company, although based in the UK they will send stuff all over the world, and they do good prices on S/H kit.

Al,

Many thanks for the advice. Phantom power is OK. The AKGs look really interesting. I wish I had never sold my pair of AKG 414s that I had 15 years ago... Fortunately my son really looks after all his gear so I can trust him with decent stuff...

Thanks also for the link. They have some interesting stuff at reasonable prices. I've plenty of family in the UK to take delivery and my son is at university there too.

ciao

James

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The 57 on snare will give you a big rock style sound, probably not subtle enough for intricate jazz stylings though.

The D112 is great for kick, as is the Beta52 but if you can get hold of an old S/H D12, they are even better.

I don't know the EV mics well enough to comment on their suitability, I have seen them, but never used them properly.

Have you thought of just getting one of the AKG clip on mic sets for your kit? You can get them in a package with a D112, they are small, neat, and save having to cart extra mic stands around. And, they sound good as well! ;)

Have a look here

Hi Al

Thanks for posting that link to Crystal Pro Audio. Some very interesting used gear, although I couldn't link to their new (i.e. unused) equipment catalogue. Have you had any dealings with them? Are there any other second hand dealers around London that you know of?

Thanks,
Tim.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
trwh said:
although I couldn't link to their new (i.e. unused) equipment catalogue. Have you had any dealings with them? Are there any other second hand dealers around London that you know of?

Hi Tim

Yes, I know them well. In fact I should clear up my position a little. I occasionally work for them testing/fixing up kit, and also did lots of renovation work on their new warehouse. However I have no financial interest or involvement other than that, so I won't make anything on what they might sell due to my references.

All their kit is thoroughly checked through and serviced, and then cleaned up. They are very helpful, and know their stuff, so will give sound advice, (pun intended ;) ).

I'm sure there are other dealers, but I can't think of any off hand, a google search might help on that score.

As for the new kit, they have dealerships for most stuff, so if you have something in mind, just give them a bell. The link for new stuff just became too big to manage, so most of it is now ordered as and when required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.