Need help selecting a Bass Guitar amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an inkling about what makes tubed (SET) amplifiers sound good, but I've been thrown a curve to select a tubed or SS amp & speaker for my talented grand daughter & her Bass Guitar. I'm open to refurbishing/rebuilding or just shopping for one on eBay that's suitable.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Frank

I have an inkling about what makes tubed (SET) amplifiers sound good, but I've been thrown a curve to select a tubed or SS amp & speaker for my talented grand daughter & her Bass Guitar. I'm open to refurbishing/rebuilding or just shopping for one on eBay that's suitable.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Frank

Guitarists like tube amps for their distortion, bass players don't usually want distortion, so a transistor amp is probably better.

I wouldn't consider a tube bass amp, too heavy, too expensive, too unreliable and all for no advantage.

I bought my daughter a Behringer BX1200, it's been great - it's been used a number of times at multi-band gigs - and everyone has loved it.

More information about your granddaughter would be helpful - age, gear, genre, venues....

But I'm guessing she would be best served by a Peavy combo of the appropriate size. They range from little 10" practice amps to 15" monsters that can keep up with a drummer. Good sound (old school, like an Ampeg), very reliable, good resale. Hard to beat for the money.

Since you're on this forum, you might be tempted by this:
fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys

Keriwena,
I know I'll sound like a doting grandfather, but, she's a 16 year old prodigy. She's in the school band & will be playing at the next Macy's parade. She prefers to write her own music, play & record the keyboard, drums, bass guitar & wind instruments. She then mixes them into her own CDs.
I would think she would need a combo, or separates, that could keep up with other Rock band members' equipment.
Frank

Keriwena,
I would think she would need a combo, or separates, that could keep up with other Rock band members' equipment.
Frank
Okay, then you need to find out what that level is. How many amps, how loud they play (which is often influenced by the drummer), and whether they run the bass through the PA.

I'm on the small side myself, and I'd prefer a separate head with a cab as big as a 1x15. Below size that a combo would work, but a 1x12 won't keep up with an enthusiastic band. ;)

Okay, then you need to find out what that level is. How many amps, how loud they play (which is often influenced by the drummer), and whether they run the bass through the PA.

I'm on the small side myself, and I'd prefer a separate head with a cab as big as a 1x15. Below size that a combo would work, but a 1x12 won't keep up with an enthusiastic band. ;)

I agree with you , i have a 4x10" in the garage and a 1x15"

I would suggest building the speakers yourself. I was gonna venture into this for my bass and electric guitar, but haven't found reason to dedicate the funds to make this idea plausible, as i don't play in a band. One idea i was looking at for myself was a 3-way speaker using an 15" or 18" woofer, 8" mid and a horn loaded tweeter. I know a bass guitars frequency range is narrow, but i feel it's important somewhat to have the full audio range covered. why not? it could be used for an electric guitar, drums, vocals, all if designed correctly.
And a story, as i was keen for a reason to build this speaker, one night i tried selling the idea to a local pub cover band. The responce to this was them showing me one afternoon, an 18" folded horn they had built for the bass guitar. They had used a DEQ to cross it into some existing full range speakers to cover the mids. This was such a beast, so much they couldn't use it as it overpowered everything else.
So in short, you should consider building a speaker yourself, it's cheaper, can be somewhat better sounding if done right. And it's not hard to build some heavey duty PA speaker cabinets, and make them look good.

Last edited:
she will need near 300w rms amp to play with a drummer and a guitar player that has a 100w rms amp like marshall´s, bass needs more wattage available .It´s possible to have a less powerfull bass amp but the volume will always be too high loosing sound quality.

You only lose sound quality if you clip it, and most transistor bass amps have limiters.

Mostly the power from the bass (and the guitar) should becoming from the PA, not the onstage amps. But a 100W transistor bass amp copes easily enough with a rock drum kit played hard.

It certainly won't cope with a 100W Marshall 2x12 played hard though, but neither will the drum kit :p

Best solution for a loud Marshall is a pair of pliers applied to the guitarists fingers - or other appendages :rolleyes:

It's only a 'boy thing' though, girls don't seem to have the idiotic urge to play so loud you can't hear any tune.

You only lose sound quality if you clip it, and most transistor bass amps have limiters.

Mostly the power from the bass (and the guitar) should becoming from the PA, not the onstage amps. But a 100W transistor bass amp copes easily enough with a rock drum kit played hard.

It certainly won't cope with a 100W Marshall 2x12 played hard though, but neither will the drum kit :p

Even with a 50W guitar amp , the bass will be buried in the global sound...

So far , the bassists who i played with always have about 250 clean watts
along with at least a 15" cabinet.

It can be built on a relatively small case of about 50X50X35 cm
with bass reflex tuning.

Good think is to have the preamp + amp in a little 2U 19" case,
as it s better to have two light parts than a single heavy one.

A really big plus is to have 4 little wheels fixed in a lateral face of the cabinet....:)

if you need using the limiter of the amp too mutch , shouldn´t you buy a more powerfull amp ?

i agree that the PA should do that , but many small places like pubs dont have PA , so always nice to have a powerfull amp and for bass 300w rms is not that mutch, trust me.

and if you want to play hard rock or heavy metal ? you cant cause the bass amp is not powerfull enough ?

anyway a 300w amp is cheap , not worth getting less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.