Need help selecting a Bass Guitar amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
might be highly appreciated if it fits in the trunk of normal car :p

hey, its probably not the last piece of gear she will ever buy
but might last as a nice and easy supplement to all the big and heavy stuff

judging from what is said about her 'activities', she may also need serious PA gear, some day
and a girl with all this gear is bound to get really attractive :D

Leadbelly,
She has a four string bass guitar. If I understand correctly, they don't go as low as the 5 or 6 string bass guitars.
I'm leaning towards a 180 watt 15 inch Behringer. Does that sound suitable?
Frank

Yes, that's right a 4 string low is close to 40Hz and a 5 or 6 goes close to 30Hz, so that opens up your choices quite a bit. Behringer's are a good deal generally speaking. The only "must have"s are tone controls and to a lesser degree compression/limiting.

if you need using the limiter of the amp too mutch , shouldn´t you buy a more powerfull amp ?

I've never seen the limiter light actually come on during a gig.

i agree that the PA should do that , but many small places like pubs dont have PA , so always nice to have a powerfull amp and for bass 300w rms is not that mutch, trust me.

You generally take your own PA, I don't think I've EVER been to a pub gig where PA was provided.

The Behringers are cheap crap that will break in a very short amount of time. I have fixed plenty!

What type of band does your grand daughter play in? are we talking full on rock band? if so then yes you would need a solid 200-300 watts+ and it doesn't take much to run out of power!

The Hartke HA3500 bass heads are a great low cost amp choice. pair this up with a 4x10 cab and you have a very versatile rig that will keep up with anything night after night. the HA3500 has 350 watts of power. Graphic EQ, compressor and the unique feature of dual preamp sections tube and solid state so you can mix and match whatever sound you like! If you shop wisely you should be able to pick up a HA3500 for $250 or less the HA4000 and HA2000 are also decent inexpensive models.

Hartke and Ampeg both make combo type amps as well. but the thing I will caution you about is to really consider what you by vs what she really needs. a small combo may be ok for practicing in the garage. but in a real performance a small amp will very very quickly get lost on stage. there just is no substitute for real power on stage!

Zc

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I see two options

buy big and cheap, and be prepared to replace it soon

or buy smaller with better quality, and it may last longer, and be a keeper

don't know which to prefer
but I think that's the first decision to make

I guess 90% of the time its being used, smaller is enough

Behringer?
well, I was surprised to see 'us' advertising it so strongly

I've played bass out of a few different rigs, and I can say that I've enjoyed my Ampeg SVTIII-Pro from the early 90's the most. Tube preamp with plate voltage can give you pushed secondary harmonic driven sound or stiffen it up to a crispy slappy "every nuance of the string" sound. And everything in between. I think it will do 225watts at 8ohms or in the 450watts at 4 ohms.

I run it into an SVT-410DL cabinet, which may be like all their other 4x10 cabs, except this one came loaded with 4 "Eden" branded Eminence 16ohm speakers wired in parallel. When I bought this rig it came with a 15 standalone cab as well, and I stacked the 410 on top of it and couldn't get a sound I enjoyed. Then one day I pulled out the 15 and that solved the problem so I sold it off. I use a Yamaha rack mount compressor (stereo, but I only use one channel) to reign in the low notes so that the highs can compete - I'm pretty melodic and use most of the neck.

Several years ago I tried to sell these items off locally at $350 each, but now I'm glad I was unable. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the sound.

If you actually try one of these out, my settings are pretty straight forward - ultra low and bright activated, bass at 2 o'clock, mid at 10 o'clock, mid range shift at noon, treble at 2 o'clock. Sometimes I eq out a little in the 300hz range depending on the room. I run the master all the way up, and dial in volume with the gain knob.

On wattage, I was surprised once - The SVTIII broke down one night at practice, and I had nothing to use but what was basically a Dynakit MkIV 40w mono tube amp with a acoustic guitar preamp driving it. I was ignorate to impedance matching at that time, and daisy-chained a couple of small PA speakers with my 410DL (must've been around 2ohm load) and actually had much more volume than I needed for the practice. The tone was rich and I had a ton of sustain as well. I think that while this speaks to the possibility of using a lower wattage amp, it also is evidence of the belief that multiple speakers, especially different sizes, can greatly increase the volume output. What do they say, it takes 10 times the power to sound twice as loud? Adding speakers is an easier way to get volume.

tinitus - i suspect there are.

also the goofy idea hit me that if a person found combos with direct outs that were cheap enough they could get two, bass into one and use the direct out to drive a second. in either satalite cab or this dual-combo situation, i'd think it most efficient to spread the speakers/combos. if i had two cabs again I'd put one on either side of the drummer.

are there not combos where you can get another speaker 'cabinet', with similar design and size
I guess mostly the more expencive ones

Fairly obviously they are going to be expensive - because you're paying for an amplifier twice as big.

Say it's a combo that outputs 200W to it's internal 8ohm speaker, it also has an extension socket where you can plug in another 8 ohm speaker, giving a total of 400W (200W to each).

There's nothing 'magic' about this - it's simply a 400W amplifier, under-run until you plug the other speaker in.

This obviously make sit more expensive than other 200W combos, because it's really a 400W one (with a speaker missing).

It's still a decent idea though, running a 400W amp at 200W means it runs MUCH cooler and has an easier life, and it gives you the option of adding another cab for those bigger gigs (where apparently you don't use PA?).

also the goofy idea hit me that if a person found combos with direct outs that were cheap enough they could get two, bass into one and use the direct out to drive a second. in either satalite cab or this dual-combo situation, i'd think it most efficient to spread the speakers/combos. if i had two cabs again I'd put one on either side of the drummer.

Are you trying to kill the drummer? - not that I'm suggesting that's a bad thing ;)

Check out the Carvin BX Series Micro Bass Amps recommended by REDHORSEMAN on page 3 of the thread. They have direct out and can drive an external speaker cabinet.

I play guitar, not bass, but those Carvin bass amps look pretty sweet. Hey Steve Vai plays the guitar amps, that has to go for something.

Last edited:
I don't try to kill drummers anymore!

But, having played with guitarists that always need chairs or crates or stools to get their amps off of the floor, having a bass cab on each side gives the guy something to put his amp on! Just get him to help move it in and out of the gig!

I can't speak to the Carvin in question, but I've always known their basses to be solid, and their cabinets/amps to be equally solid if maybe a little "dark". Though honestly that darkness coulda been the fretless player combined with his admittedly poor hearing above 1k.

Good Luck, OP, wherever you are! I hope we didn't hijack your thread, or if we did, then someone else is getting insight out of it!

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.