Blown Bluesbreaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Having a problem with a Marshall reissue JTM45 Bluesbreaker combo.
What I am getting is very very little signal until volume '8' and then a buzzing harsh distortion with an almost ring modulator type quality. The volume is not all that loud. No other abnormal humming, rustling or buzzing.
I've noticed that the 2nd and 3rd preamp tubes hum loudly if place my hand near the glass, and #2 with buzz loudly if I grab the glass.
Seems like the voltages from the PS are right, so I don't know about my original idea of filter cap failure. Maybe trans or choke? Speakers are ok.
I would like to isolate the pre to see if it is there or in the power amp, but not sure how.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Gabe

Schematic:
http://www.raw-sewage.net/images/bb62ri-schm1.jpg

Is it the same for both CH1 and CH2 - if so points to V2 circuitry.
else its in V1 circuitry.
Don't forget simple stuff which could cause this sort of behaviour like a volume pot which is open circuit somwhere along its input to output track such that the wiper position has to be turned up far enough to bypass the track break. I've seen this happen before.
Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.