The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge

Here is corrected schematic, how it is now.

Attachments

• worldchamp.jpg
    worldchamp.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 569
Is the first .022uF off the first plate there to allow you to use lower voltage caps in the tone stack? It is not needed if all the caps meet the voltage spec, otherwise yes one HV cap there with say a 1 Meg bleed to gound would allow lower voltage caps in the tone stack. Also, the .022uF is in effect in series with the .1 uF and .47 uF in the tone stack at mid and low frequencies and it will dominate the reactance being of much smaller value. Fender often used .022 or .047 uF in the tone stack, did you really intend to use those big values?
Oops it was late, was not paying attention to the numbers too much, you are right about the tone stack. The first 0.022uF I had in place in another design which could switch the tone stack before and after the first triode. I left it in as it allows the option to do it with this board. I never considered the 1Meg though.

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah I see what you mean about the tube circuits & how they have more than likely been built before.

I also am using new transformers for the PS & OPT, I have my circuit almost complete & will test it out later today, it's looking not to bad at the moment with a lot of even harmonic content.

I'm attemting to stay clear of high amplitude odd harmonics as I really don't like ear piercing shrill sounding amps.

Can't wait to try it out.

Cheers

1st attempt

6AK5, 6CL6, 38volt tfmr thro flash cap voltage sextupler, wine box (empty now), output tfmr (7500:8) blew the budget. Will have to try the fender 6G15source (thanks Chris A).

Sounds:
Volume - clean from 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock.
grid current clipping from 12 to 3 o'clock
grid current and cut off limiting from 3 -4 o'clock

Tone - good enough not to bother with tone stack
Loudness - bedroom level if nobody else at home ;)

Now for 2nd attempt.
Cheers
JimG

Attachments

• IMG_0008_cropped.jpg
    IMG_0008_cropped.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 518
Input jack is grounded at the capacitor bank where power comes in.

Output tied to star as well.

All of signal path is single end grounded RG-174/U shielded cable.

Are they both isolated from chassis, or form a loop through it?

By the way, I recorded sound on high pitch strings, to show compression of my amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRF05L9btYM

No chassis. This is on a tube-lab type breadboard.

Since there is no global feedback, I've tried removing the ground to the output and letting it float. No change in the oscillation.

I also considered the possibility of feedback between the triode and pentode in the 6GH8A which were stages 1 and 3 which were in phase, so I changed the position of the triodes so that it is 6GH8A Pentode input driving tonestack, 6GH8A Triode second gain stage after tonestack, 6F4P triode 3rd gain stage, other 6F4P triode as Concertina, then the two output 6F4P Pentodes.

The oscillation breaks out at the peak of the signal and is only seen now on the 3rd gain stage through output.

I switched to a 400Hz test tone.

Attachments

• PRINT_00.JPG
    PRINT_00.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 339