The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge

Here is a 2 watt guitar amp I built for my son about 2 years ago using series string AA5 type radio tubes. I used an isolation transformer and a real small audio transformer as you can see. Tubes used are 2 12AT6's, 50DC4 and 50C5. I did not design this amp, a fellow radio collector did. Its as simple as you can get.

Sal

aa4guitar3.jpg

Ive been reading most of this thread with great interest, and I love the spirit of the competition. unfortunately being a child of the late 70s I have little experience of valve/tube amps besides my dean markley signature 120 head. If i were to try and make a simple amp with SS, im sure i could do a rough and ready class A, but despite their similarities, and simple designs, I could not do the same with tubes.

So respect is due. I have a little Kustom practice amp with a 6-8" speaker thats crying out for a simple tube amp conversion. This is one competition I would love to have been able to enter, but im happy building one of the designs, or maybe the winning one if its simple enough for my poor brain!

Many guitar amps use the venerable 12AX7. The 12AU7 and the 12AT7 are also common. The only common output tubes that will fit this price and power ranges are the 6AQ5, the 6BQ5 / EL84, the 6CW5, and maybe a Chinese EL34 or 6L6GC.

sorry for the off topic but I am a n00b re: this stuff, I happen to have a dozen 12A?7s and 4 EL84s (and a couple EL34s) where can I find schematics for guitar amps using these?

If I did the build with parts I already own (some vintage) but make a documented list of the parts, made sure they are all readily available and within budget, will this qualify to be a part of the 'comp?' I'm gonna build it anyway because I want to follow the project and try to teach myself something, but I don't really have the spare money to purchase new parts right now.

I expected there would be more tubes that would fit the 9DX socket, but that's quite an impressive list!

I haven't verified all of them but I do have the 6KT8 and it seems I remember a reason for leaving it off of my list and never putting it in the socket. Ah yes, according to the handy old 73 RCA it's not a 9DX tube. Pin 5 is heater, yes, but also g3 and internal shield. Not compatible with the AC filament in this design, but I do have some designs using a DC filament that should work with that side of the filament grounded. Hmmm. Maybe the rest of that list could stand a little review and verification, too.

I'm working on a four-tube 3.5 watt design that goes from sweet and clean to full metal fuzz with a broader frequency response than this one, and includes bass, mid, treble, and spring reverb for the $99 target. It would already be prototyped except that I'm also trying to squeeze a tube compressor into the design without adding any more tube sockets.

Just finished building a test jig with a front face full of milliammeters, multi-position switches and pots, plus two or three separate pairs of binding posts for voltmeters and ohmmeters. I've got this interesting tube for which the published specs don't even begin to tell the story about what happens to plate current when its various electrodes are subjected to the permutations of possibility. I plan to find out. So I'm making spreadsheets, recording the voltage and current in various places.

Making spreadsheets is boring. Very, very boring. But the secret hidden within this tube has begun to reveal itself to me. And that, my friends, is exciting. Very, very exciting! (You've all heard of negative resistance, right?)

From spreadsheets to graphs. From graphs to designs. From designs to the above stated goal. It's all top secret right now, but I'll keep you posted.

Incidentaly, the amp built from the circuits I submitted above puts out over 1.5 watts RMS into an 8-Ohm speaker as measured using a guitar single coil pickup as input.
I'm new to this, and built the MTA-1XE that Mr. Tubekit sells as my first ever build. He helped me via email a lot. I must say that I'm happy with it. I'm intriqued by the mention of the four tube design you mentioned with reverb and such for under $100. I want you to let me know when that is ready for prime time. I am about ready to do another build.

You may want to wait to see whose design wins this challenge. :D Although I think only George (Tubelab) will provide PCB's for others. So if you're not an experienced solder slinger Tubekit's and Tubelab's amps will be your only options.

I'm watching, and waiting. I don't need a lot of options, just one good one would suffice! There are a lot of pages to this thread, and I'm unsure of when this challenge is supposed to end. I'm not sure if I could follow only a schematic at this point. I seem to get confused over the simplest things, of course I have no experience with schematics, not totally understanding what I see. We'll see what happens as it goes along. It appears that the thread has cooled off somewhat in recent days. Maybe people are losing interest? Thanks for tolerating my simple minded interjections in this subject. I would just like to see this continue, and be able to use something from it. I find it all fascinating!

sorry for the off topic but I am a n00b re: this stuff, I happen to have a dozen 12A?7s and 4 EL84s (and a couple EL34s) where can I find schematics for guitar amps using these?

One thing to remember: Having the tube already on hand hardly saves you any money. Tubes are about the lowest price part of a tube amp. You can buy a 12AX7 for $10 but a transformer costs between $30 and $50. You'll need two transformers. Yes there are cheaper way but you want to build from tested schematics where many amps have been built. This $100 amp thread is currently for people who want to be pioneers with a new amp. For your fist try, build a known design

The EL84 and EL34 are associated with Marshal amps. Select a Marshal amp that you like then look up the schematics for it.
Amp Archives/Marshall/Schematics & Layouts/Marshall Amp Schematics

Also as was said there is also AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project with many new design amps mostly based on those tubes. Good web based suport group

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
There are a lot of pages to this thread, and I'm unsure of when this challenge is supposed to end.

I think it ends on Octuber 15th (2011) which is Global Handwashing Day BTW. LOL.

It appears that the thread has cooled off somewhat in recent days. Maybe people are losing interest?

I can't speak for others but my interest lies right now somewhere else. It seems people has been slowly dropping off, looking for other projects. Like resolving employment issues and family matters and whatnot. Others probably just got tired - this thread is too long. It doesn't help, either, that the creator of this challenge seems to be missing. Is this thing still alive?

I would love to work on some of the designs I posted but I am doing house renovations and have winter coming around the corner deciding my priorities. I might get an amp in but I have no problem with being late and adding my contribution afterwards. I look at this more as a place to post my ideas rather than a competition. The common thread is the low-buck-ness (hows that for a word) of the amp and there will be different ways of achieving that. I am hoping to show what I can do with a 70V transformer and I want to get the switchable PI thing going to see how the different configurations affect the sound. Hopefully useful information well after the 15th.