The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge

The Agile guitars over at Rondo Music get great reviews. Made in Korea. Lot of bang for the buck. A friend of mine purchased the AL-2000 Tobacco Flame. After some setup work, intonation, fret leveling, really nice guitar, plays and sounds excellent, and a beautiful finish. The AL-3000 series is even nicer. Check out the reviews. I have no affiliation with Agile or Rondo Music.

Rondo Music Electric Guitars

Last edited:
Austin has some tasty looking Jazz bass and Precision bass copies as well as a Gibson ES175 clone. The ES175 costs way too much for me, but if they come up with a reasonable ES335 clone I would have to buy it. I played a real Gibson ES335 once about 40 years ago and I loved the sound and the playability. Of course I could actually play it then. They are in the $2500+ range now.

My son is actually more interested in Gibson style guitars these days. He likes Trey Anastasio's style and sound.

6AK5 pp diode bias

Loud thro' 12" 97dB speaker.

Nice clean rhythm tone at half volume , then bluesy raunch when cranked.

The triode-pentode switch helps the WAF factor
but not in rock lead guitar territory yet.

Now for Version 3.

Attachments

• 6AK5 pp diode bias shematic.doc
    34 KB · Views: 129
djgibson51- Any problems with microphonics? I'd love to hear how it sounds.
These are microphonic tubes, and you get a sci-fi zinnggg if the switches aren't turned over with a tender touch. I've used these for guitar/bass preamps for 2 years now. Just have to keep in mind during construction.
This little amp sounds good enough to keep, but neither my playing nor IT skills are up to posting sound clips.
Prototype Version 3 with self split switch is almost complete, then I plan to build one for myself, one for my bassplayer son's guitarist, one for their recording studio... With these components the most expensive item is my time. Cheers.

Export them to PDF's, then! Not everybody wants this bloated office software in their computer.

Just offering a suggestion. I guess you'll just have to deal with it the best way you can then. Maybe consult a friend? Possibly hire a service? Just offering more suggestions.

By the way, issuing a command is not a very nice way to ask.

Last edited:
OK. You may be interested in hearing this one. Two 12AT7's and 6AK6's in push pull:

‪1 watt Guitar Amp by mpf-sound‬‏ - YouTube

Gday Cassiel,

Had a listen to the clip above, it reminds me of the sound you get when you plug a guitar into some of the old valve radio's.

I had an old Kreisler radio that sounded pretty much the same as that, it had a 12AX7 & two 6M5's in P/P, more Watts but same type of sound.

2 X 12AT7's & 2 x 6AK6's are a lot of valves for 1Watt hey!
Horrible sound, personal opinion of course, again?

Hey Gimp, how did you go with your noise issue?

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Horrible sound, personal opinion of course, again?

LOL. I wouldn't say horrible but I didn't like it either. Now, if you tell me this one sounds horrible we're worlds apart:

AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

The 6SN7 is a great tube. The 6SN7GTB has a max. dissipation of 7.5Watts when you use both triodes. 5W for a single one. Not bad. My 15 Watter is going to be just too good for this challenge, I'm thinking about building a smaller one as well to keep up with the spirit of bedroom amp.

By the way, issuing a command is not a very nice way to ask.

It must be the extreme heat. I'm also affected by it. :D

LOL. I wouldn't say horrible but I didn't like it either. Now, if you tell me this one sounds horrible we're worlds apart:

The 6SN7 is a great tube. The 6SN7GTB has a max. dissipation of 7.5Watts when you use both triodes. 5W for a single one. Not bad. My 15 Watter is going to be just too good for this challenge, I'm thinking about building a smaller one as well to keep up with the spirit of bedroom amp.

Gday Cassiel,

Yeah had a listen to the link, I don't believe it, we may actually agree on something, well a little bit Hahaha!.
I think it's like most things where you can hear some nice sound that is suitable for certain things but then there's some sound your not to sure of.
Very acceptable though I agree.
I use a lot of 6SN7GTA's, I was lucky enough to buy 100 of them for $2.00 each a long time ago & am slowly but surely running out of stock, what I have left is pictured below.

I have been playing around with a SE 6SN7GTA for the challenge actually.

I find trying to build a nice very small amp a real challenge when you only have the $100 to spend.

As I've mentioned before that I struggle with the single coil guitar sound as it is a little to country for me but one sound I don't mind depending on mood I guess is Robert Cray.
I think he uses a Matchless Clubman Amp, I think, maybe I'm wrong.
He gets some nice sound in some of his other clips, great style of playing.

‪Robert Cray - "Twenty"‬‏ - YouTube

Trout, haven't used the 6BX7, but your comments are interesting.

TheGimp, yeah spare time is precious, let us know how you get along with it.

I'm making some good progress at the moment with my little amps.

Cheers

Attachments

• 6SN7GTA.JPG
    6SN7GTA.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 284
Where's Wavebourn & Tubelab????......I suspect they are up to something sneaky

Nothing sneaky, in fact no tube stuff at all since I plugged in the $99 sweep tube amp last weekend. Stuck at work until 8 or 9 PM most of the week. Went to wood shop class last night and glued up two speaker cabinets. Waiting for Tolex for the 12 inch cabinets, the 8 inch will likely never get finished.

Like some of my projects, I got a little carried away with this one. I have 4 amps and 3 speaker cabinets in various stages of completion. No new ones are planned right now, but some more variations of these may be spawned from them.

There is the 3 tube under $50 amp. One of my friends that plays acoustic guitar wants one, but would prefer "bigger tubes" that are visible.

There is another version with an additional gain stage (4 tubes) that still comes in under $50.

The two 5 tube designs have been shown here and the original schematic was posted. Both amps share the same schematic just use different tubes. I'll post a new schematic after I am done tweaking it.

I came home tonight and found the Lollapalooza concert streaming live on Youtube so I wasted most of tonight watching TV. It's on all weekend. I went to Lollapalooza once....15 years ago.

It must be the extreme heat. I'm also affected by it. :D

Did you build the ax84 6SN7 amp? Is the 15 Watter you built your design?

No worries, it's hot here too.

I came home tonight and found the Lollapalooza concert streaming live on Youtube so I wasted most of tonight watching TV. It's on all weekend. I went to Lollapalooza once....15 years ago.

Tell you what,

Chicago is no place to be during that event! As much as the news channels here try to sugar coat it, the crowds are outright crazy. Getting out alive is the #1 priority.