Turning Line 6 POD 2.0 into a practice amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IDEA:

I have an old POD 2.0 that's been sitting in the garage for more than a year, and I had the idea to turn it into a practice amp. (I have a POD X3 Live I use most of the time.) I was considering buying a cheap set of computer speakers and mounting them with the POD in an enclosure. However, having recently built another (very humble and simple) passive speaker enclosure, I already have a number of supplies, like speaker cloth, vinyl covering and a few miscellaneous jacks and capacitors. And I was thinking that since I'm building an enclosure anyway, it might be better just to build a VERY simple little power amp and use a speaker with more than a 1-2" diameter. The POD already functions as a preamp, for anyone unfamiliar with it.

BACKGROUND:

I know very little about electronics, and my experience is limited to wiring guitars. I have no idea how to build a power amp, and can barely read an electronic schematic, but I do enjoy the process, and could use another cheap, late night project.

QUESTIONS:

1. I need a little advice. Would I be better off just buying a set of computer speakers, assuming I limit the cost of the speakers to under $20?

2. Given my limited knowledge, would I be able to build a power amp cheaply and effectively? (I already have the basic tools, including a 40w soldering iron, plenty of solder and wire, and wire cutting/stripping tools.)

3. If so, can anyone recommend a very simple and inexpensive amp schematic?

SPEAKER:

I realize a speaker designed specifically for guitar would probably be better, but the two goals are to exceed the quality of sub-$20 computer speakers and/or save money. I was thinking this speaker would be just about right for what I'm doing:

3" x 5" Ribbed Paper Cone Shielded Woofer Speaker

At $1.50 + about $6.50 in shipping, it's hard to beat, especially if I source the rest of my parts from Parts Express or the local Radio Shack.

Thanks for your help,
David

Sometimes you can find some little two-way speakers cheap!

I got a few pairs of some sony's at Radio shack for $20 a pair a few years ago.

The sound is good and are very durable,so far I only blew one of them out do to a none overdriven issue.
It got a zap from my esl bias supply when a wire got too close to it last summer when I was working the my esl's.

I like the line-6 stuff and was planning to get an X3 live rack mount unit when it was anounced ,But things happend it,so I couldn't afford it.
But is on my list of things to get.

I almost spent $150+ on some computer speakers when I found the sony's and have been happy with them ever since.
I have been running them on a 80 watt Aiwa cd changer system and haven't had any problems at all.

When I get messing with my vst stuff ,they get plenty loud and are small enough to sit on my desk used as nearfield monitors.

Parts express had something similar in that price range.
My sony's are 5.25" two-way.

jer

Last edited:
If you want to a little more elaborate and diy A stereo chipamp would be very easy and fool proof.
My little Park g10r has a TDA2030 in it and is plenty loud screaming through my two very old 12" jensen special design speakers although I would prefer some more power.

I am thinking about putting a bigger transformer in it and retrofiting a LM3886 in it.
That would be just enough for me as a practice amp as I do have some much bigger stuff.

jer

Thanks for your responses. After my last project, I'm trying to keep the costs really low on this one. I've been thinking about it a lot, and trying to learn what I can about power amps. I did find what I think would be a pretty good circuit for what I'm trying to do:

LM384 - 5-W Audio Power Amplifier

But in the end, even a single 500uf cap costs over $7, and I can't help thinking that for what I'm doing some simple computer speakers like these would probably be fine:

Amazon.com: Logitech S120 2.0 Multimedia Speakers: Electronics

Even after materials and jacks, I'll probably be able to keep the entire project under $20 (plus the $50 I invested in a used POD 2.0 a couple of years ago, and utilizing scrap materials from previous projects).

Gerald, the Line 6 stuff is good, especially if you know how to tweak it. I used to play through a board so large it had an integrated mixer board. It was ridiculous. I got a better tone then (with a small tube amp), but by the time it goes through the sound system at a church with volunteer sound guys, any difference I might hear isn't worth the trouble of setting it all up. I will say this - I'm glad I got the X3 when I did. I'm not in love with the new HD series. But I think my next step will be toward synth guitar - something like a Ghost system with Boss GR-55.

Those logitech's look pretty cool and they already have an amp built in.
All you have to do is plug and play!
I have set of computer speakers around here somewhere that even had a headphone jack on it aswell.
and that was what I used for awhile until I got my stuff set back up.
With some headphones from the dollar store and it sounded pretty good!
jer

Last edited:
Just in case anyone's interested, I did some very unscientific testing tonight. Take my opinion for what it's worth.

Using alligator clips connected to a mono instrument cable running out of the POD 2.0 and a passive electric guitar, I tested through the following speakers:

JAMO 20470 4-1/2" Sealed Back Midrange
Fully enclosed paper cone midrange with damped paper edge. Great economical replacement driver, or for new projects. Very efficient. Buyout, limited quantities. Specifications: *Power handling: 25 watts RMS/50 watts max *VCdia: 9/16" *Le: 0.67 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.93 ohms *Frequency response: 700-6,000 Hz *Fs: 700 Hz *SPL: 90 dB 1W/1m

10" Ribbed Paper Cone Woofer Speaker
Specifications: *Power handling: 30 watts RMS/60 watts peak *VCdia: 1" *Le: 1.60 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.47 ohms *Frequency range: 34-3,000 Hz *Fs: 33 Hz *SPL: 93.15 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 6.46 cu. ft. *Qms: 5.07 *Qes: 0.52 *Qts: 0.47 Xmax: 4 mm

These speakers are presently mounted on the face of a 1.1 cubic foot speaker enclosure that was placed in the cabinet, but not screwed down. I crossover between them with a single 6.8uf capacitor. (This project had a budget of about $50. I think I spent closer to $60.) The full range speaker can be switched off with a simple SPST toggle switch that cuts off the positive lead, and for the purposes of this test, isolates the speakers.

Through the POD's line out jack (just one), the output wasn't even close to enough to drive the speakers. It's what you'd expect from a passive output. But the headphone jack was another story. Again, I was using a mono cable, but it's what I had available without digging too much. It wasn't exactly screaming, but it was sufficient for living room practice. I'd estimate somewhere around 85db - just a guess. That being said, the speakers I have hooked up to my computer sound better (run through a mono output on my POD X3 Live - like I said, unscientific testing). They're Logitech speakers similar to the ones listed above, but they're a 2.1 system. Right now the subwoofer is turned almost all the way down.

Computer speakers are definitely the way to go for this project. It's decided. However, for the information of anyone interested, the headphone jack seems to have plenty of power to drive passive speakers with no power amp. But I did have to turn the POD's output all the way up. I think if somebody ever wanted to do this project right, a power amp would be a good thing. Then again, running stereo out of that headphone jack might help too. :)

David

I have a similar idea, only on a bigger scale: I have a couple of Hafler power amps (a DH200, 100W/channel, bridgeable to more than 200W mono, that I got for $60 and a Hafler (when they were part of Rockford-Fosgate, I think) TA1100 Trans•ana, 40W/Ch, also (I think) bridgeable, that I got for $40.

I'd like to use one of the Line 6 pods in front, feeding from its 1/4" output jack to one of the bridged Haflers, feeding one or two drivers in a cabinet, sealed or unsealed. I have two 8" drivers from 2 different Crate 15W practice amps, don't know if they'd be useful in this project or not. Obviously, I don't know much about electronics or amp cabinets (or much else!). Anybody think this project is feasible? Does anyone know of any plans for a dual 8" (or single whatever size) cab?

Any advice -- including to go some other route entirely -- would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the great info here!

Bart Brown

Minion - The problem with my POD 2.0 is that it's too much work to dial in a tone. With the POD X3 Live, however, I run USB to my computer, fuss with a tone until I like it, and then generally stay away from the presets.

Bart - Good luck with your project. I'll be looking in to see what others say, but I don't know enough to give you any helpful advice myself. :)

The Pod 2.0 is a stereo device and it has guitar speaker modeling so just go out and find a used stereo receiver and some hi-fi speakers. Check craigslist for something good about twenty years old and you'll love it. I set a buddy up with a Pioneer receiver and large Pioneer speakers that were going for $25. They are over 25 years old but were super clean and likely not used much.

You'll really appreciate how good your effects sound in stereo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.