weak joe compressor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

i built a weak joe compressor and found the unit to be good i tried different combinations of Op amps and nsl 32 opto isolator as well as some home made opto isolator which i found actually worked better. but at maximum compression the compressor seems to distort a bit i figure the attenuation to earth is the culprit for the distortion i can't figure out what else may be causing it. I know that compressor can be a bit of pig in a basket but finding a good diy one to build is another story also any one with any nice schematics of opto compressor please let me know. But for now i have been trying different options to make this particular compressor to just kick that little bit nicer. i would like nice clean compression with a bit of kick when adjusted right but just haven't found a schematic that cuts it but if anyone has any ideas in regards to tweaking the weak joe please let me know. It has got me with the distortion problem this unit has that anyone uses it in any studio.

SeedSeed, you posted this a while back, but it's hard to find people who actually finished this project, so I would really appreciate a quick answer to a question I have:

From mnat's website, which components did you use, the ones given in the PCB layout, or the ones from the Schematic image? There are some differences, and I wonder which ones are the correct ones. On the site, mnat writes both "This printed circuit board has been verified as 100% functional." and the schematic link says "Basic Schematic showing modifications", so I am not sure.

I followed the PCB, got everything assembled, and am now debugging, since the trim-pot doesn't seem to have any effect on the voltage/resistance across the VTL5C9. I double checked pretty much everything and before I calculate every voltage division, I want to know whether this can actually work with the values of components I used.

Cheers, Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.