Marshall amp is being quiet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys. Got something for you all.

I just got a marshall bass 12 amp from a goodwill for 25.00 dollars. And it is being quiet. It is not even competing with an acoustic. Is there anything that i need to check on it?? it does also have a gain nob that must be on 4 for it to work. anyone have any fixes?? I want to use the amp, but it is not working for me. Thanks. its hard to find anything on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only Marshall Bass 12 would be 5501.

Is there anything that i need to check on it?? it does also have a gain nob that must be on 4 for it to work. anyone have any fixes??
Plenty, for starters:
- Contact intermittency? / condition of solder joints
- Potentiometer / jack corrosion and overall condition, use some contact cleaner
- Output transistors ok?

If these don't help start tracing signal from input towards output and see what stage fails to amplify or what stage causes too much attenuation.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 5x02.gif
    5x02.gif
    169.2 KB · Views: 129
Re: Marshall 12" Amp Too Quiet

A very late response, I had this issue with my old Marshall 12" amp, it turned out to be the potentiometer for the Volume was dirty after no use for years, fiddling with the knob for a few minutes brought back a bit of life to the point where I knew that was the issue, but disassembling the box and getting at the back of the potentiometer and spraying it with contact cleaner or replacing it is the only real solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.