6550 Push Pull noise in power stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The amp is a JCM800 50w combo. Here is the schematic:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/4210.gif

I am getting a static/crackling sound from the amp with the master volume at Zero and no input. Noise is still present when all the preamp tubes are pulled. I replaced the master volume pot, coupling capacitors around the master volume pot, and diodes, and that didn't help. This all started when I lost my bias voltage and my tubes redplated. I purchased new tubes and replaced everything in the bias supply section. I got my bias voltage back and now I have this terrible noise. Screen resistors test fine @ 1k ohms, but I was curious if they could still be the culprits. Also with the amp on standby, when powering down the noise can be heard through the speaker as the caps drain off.

You didn't mention IF you changed the Bias adjust presets ? Screen resistors if carbon types can withstand but modern types will often go high. One of my tricks is to desolder one/or all and measure while the heat from a soldering iron is applied. There will be some drift, but a duff one will go wild.

richy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.