Amp Head's for guitar or bass, general interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I hope you will show interest in this thread

please post your amps, or related questions and opinions

I will start by asking about Ampeg Portaflex PF-500

experiences or opinions ?

what can you say about the carvin pro bass II head amp? does the sound of it still be appreciated this modern time?

Attachments

• carvin headamp.jpg
    carvin headamp.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 157
Hi there,

I use an Orange Tiny Terror guitar combo. 15w, 12 inch Celestion G30H driver.

Amazing little amp, warm, full, does the brit sound overdrive nicely, the first really good piece of guitar equipment i ever bought and i cant seem to bring myself to sell it for a Fender Deluxe Reverb!

I can gladly post my amp heads.

A 1973 Marshall MK2 Superlead 100 watt head. It has been modified.

A later 70ish Marshall JMP 100 watt head. It has been modified.

A Marshall JCM 900 50 watt head.

A pre-CBS Fender Bassman 50 watt head.

I owned a Fender Deluxe Reverb at one time Danhorse but not anymore. They are good amps.

I am not familiar with that exact amp but 60 watts is as loud as you will ever need for anything. I like the 100 watt amps because they sound different than the 50 watt amps but they are not louder. Technically they may be louder in theory but just a little bit. Not twice as loud. But in reality they are no louder at all because you can't run either one on 10 without uncontrollable feedback. So put a 100 watt next to a 50 watt and crank them both up as loud as you can without uncontrollable feedback and the 50 watt is just as loud as the 100 watt.

That amp (released years ago, it's discontinued) is the best value for money amp I can find. £250 for a valve front end, 60w of solid state power, and a 4x8" cabinet to boot. I mean, the all-SS Marshall head costs the same, before you add speakers.

In the future, a 4x12" may well be in order, but I've found that I can get pretty much any sound I want with the amp's (basic by today's standards) features.
This morning, I turned it all the way up to 3/10 connected to a 1x12" cab, and you could hear it down the street. My windows were closed. It sounded nice and clean, I really had no idea it was that loud.

If you can get hold of one of those amps, I really recommend them.
Then again, looking at the sort of amp you currently have, there's probably no need :D

Chris

my favorite bass amp of all time was an Earth bass head i owned years ago. at 100W and with an Earth PA cabinet i had, it was more than enough for most small venues, and even some medium size church halls. i removed the "twid" horn, and replaced the shredded 15" speaker it had when i got it, with a 15" Jensen (don't remember the part number, but it was one of the ones with the heavy conical shaped magnet and 2" voice coil). with that driver in the cabinet, the port velocity was too high, so i had to put some foam in the port. with the PA cab, it was a fairly compact setup, but had adequate punch for most places the band was playing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.