Troubleshoot help for vibrato type problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've rebuilt an old Bogen CHB10a and it works fine with one problem!
Sound is nice, just what I want/expect but when I turn the volume up past about 8 or so I get a vibrato type sound out of it.
I have not run into this before and I am hoping someone with more experience might know where to look.
I've attached the Schematic and a very small mp3 (zipped) file so you can hear what's going on.
I replaced all components with new or NOS for some of the foil caps. Everything was on value when I put it in.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Chris

Attachments

• chb-10a pre and power mod r1-rs.jpg
    chb-10a pre and power mod r1-rs.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 78
  • CHB10a Warble.zip
    284.2 KB · Views: 33
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

A few ideas.

Check value of B+ rail when Warble happens does it "dip".

What is S2? Does the problem change if switch positions are changed?

Also what happens if tone control is changed?
Check is C7 cap faulty?

Can you post PSU schematic?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Since the schematic says it's modified, it makes it harder to know where to start -- but it sounds like a classic case of inadequate decoupling in the power supply, so that feedback occurs back to an earlier stage when the gain is advanced beyond a certain point. I would use two separate isolated B+ points for the first two stages to confirm if this is what's happening.

Dave

Thanks for the help folks,
Replacing the PS filter Caps one at a time fixed most of the problem. Adding the 68k Grid Leak resistor cleaned up the rest but did make it more sensitive to picking up radio signals!
Looks like I have more reading to do.........

Thanks again.

Chris

You're running grid leak bias on first stage. That may be quite temperamental. I suggest temporarily changing to a standard cathode bias configuration (eg. 1.5k or 2k2 bypassed with 25uF 16V) to see if that is the major influence.

Also use say a 68k grid stopper placed on the input valve base. You may also need to use a shorting input jack if you don't have a low impedance pickup connected, or a phono output stage connected.

As per post above, insert an RC decoupling of the power supply rail from PI stage to input stage.

Ciao, Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.