1964 Amplifier!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up a super-clean 1964 Sano Supersonic amplifier!! The tone out of this amp is sweeeeettttt!It takes my OD pedal so nicely. The power tubes are 8417's. Hope I don't have to replace those anytime soon $$$$$$$$$$. Just thought you guys might be interested!!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Yeah KLM one, I know what you re saying bro. Turn it down and conserve on the tubes. Tube depot has the 8417's for 70.00 each. Not too bad. Plus I dont want to add a bias pot to this classic. The only problem that I have with it is that the 15" is not stock, and the dB level is higher than the 8" speakers.

If you have to get new 8417 tubes DO NOT get the GE branded ones as they had lots of problems with thermal runaway. IIRC the Sylvania ones are the good ones.
You can replace with 6550's but you will probably have to add another gain stage or up the gain on one of the existing stages as the 8417 needs about half the drive of a 6550.
I would also replace power supply / electrolytic capacitors as the originals are probably bad and have become leaky.
Good luck.... Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.