Need pinions on a fullish-range bass guitar speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
howdy, I've been thinking about building a 1x12 bass cab built with an eminence beta 12lta whizzer cone speaker. seems like a rad speaker for bass guitar- a touch more high end than is typical of a cab w/no tweeteer, but without an annoying tweeter. i'm going to pair it with an ampeg svt15 and power it with a GK400. what i was curious about is whether anyone has had experience with this speaker in this application, or a similar one, i.e. loud sound reinforcement. if so, how does it sound? how does it handle high volume?

Beta 12LTA IIRC has a voice-coil overhang of 0.080" and xmax rating of around 3.5mm. Since I had one already in a Karlson 12 (with polyfill in the rear chamber to reduce qtc) I pulled out an amp and grabbed the nearest bass - it sounds pretty darn good - not a lot of lows - k12 has a tiny back chamber of around 1.3 cubic feet but the Karlson adds some kick and keeps the cone under better control imo than reflex.

tone overall = good highs, mellow midbass - I'd be concerned with frying the coil at high input levels - it does sound pretty good for 1-12
(forgive the mess - I'm ill and can't do much)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

WHOA!!! Peavey AlphaBass??? Travis Bean-style Kramer!?!?!

You are my hero. I have an AlphaBass, celebrating our 20th anniversary next year... I love it (modded, natch). And I have long lusted after an aluminum-neck Kramer. I hope you feel better soon. Mess? What mess?

Chat, I can't speak from experience, but you could also look at a 2x10 using the Legend B102 http://eminence.com/pdf/legend-b102.pdf as it's tailored for bass but will still satisfy your whizzer fetish. You may get more bottom end and power handling with the 2x10 too...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Eminence

Legend B102, BassLite CA2010(alu), both wide range
not so wide range, but DeltaPro 12A looks very strong

Beyma 12GA50 is pure fullrange
High quality with short rings
But high 1.16 Qts means only suited fore "open back"
Very high sensitivity makes it tempting

I suppose it could work in paralel with a woofer like DeltaPro12A, straight with no filter, but uncertain

man, I once had a Karlson enclosure exactly like the above, but unfortunately "lost" it along the way

Beyma 12GA50 is pure fullrange
High quality with short rings
But high 1.16 Qts means only suited fore "open back"
Very high sensitivity makes it tempting
Was going to make the same suggestion. If you can work out a small hornloaded design for this unit, you'd have a killer cab imo :)
Ps Beyma's specsheet recommends a 20 to 70 L enclosure for it.

But reaching the lowest octave is not a thing these whizzer cone woofer excell at, so if it's the way to go for a bass cab..?

Last edited:
wow. awesome. thanks for all the advice and stuff i have no idea what you're talking about. and pics, even. i guess having a whizzer cone fetish is as good as any, plus i get to poke around geeky audio forums.... a couple legends would be great except i think they only come 8ohm? i'll be mostly using this on top of an svt15, so i need to keep the total load on the new cab down to 8. and one 10" is too much whimpyness. maybe. that beyma sounds perfect, nice that it's higher freq response, but money-wise will be hard to get past the girlfriend test. something to save up for maybe, if this whole thing works out.
basically i'm looking for something with a bit more high end (but no tweeter/crossover, since i play distorted much of the time, and they're just kinda annoying on bass) than you normally get with bass drivers, like around 8k or so, that could hold it's own with my svt15. it'll only be seeing half of my gk400's 200w of ouput.
definitely stoked to get this project underway, and happy to have found this resource of knowledge

here's the on-axis response of an early B102 vs Beta 12LTA when each were in the old (~1952) Electrovoice "Aristocrat" enclosure outdoors (wish I had overlaid off axis) Although 12LTA is too dull by itself for fullrange music listening, its pretty bright on fingernail/pick sounds for bass guitar. I wish Eminence had given it another pound of motor and edgewound coil
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

12db down at 50 hz is a bass guitar speaker? Dont you want any bass from your bass? The fundamental of almost your entire 1st octave wil be gone. May as well be playing a regular guitar. You need a bass cab thats flat to at least 40 hz, lower if you play a 5 string. "Low E on a 4 string bass is usually about 41Hz, and the low B on a 5 string around 31Hz fundamentals."

hi cbdb -in the old days (60's->70's) there wasn't much low bass relative to lower mids - but things still worked within the framework of the music. LF corners were high with W-bins and a lot of reflex. I played with 16 cubic foot w-bin. I can't remember how much fundamental there is in 5&6 string basses vs their 3rd harmonic. What basses do you play?

I don't know if 12LTA in a reflex can cut it for loudness/fullness.

Last edited:
Have you listened to any recordings from the last 20 years ? Theres a lot of them with lots of low bass guitars in them. Again, its called a bass for a reason. Why bring up 50 year old music. And isnt it better to have the capability and then EQ the low end out if you dont want it? A bass guitar whit out the first octave is a regular guitar, and if you play the bass part on a regular guitar "things still work within the framework of the music" it just dosnt sound nearly as good. Is filtering out below a 100hz going to make any music sound better? Thats what your doing to the bass.

Last edited:
Sure, you cant mess up the tone of an acoustic with a cab that dosnt go low enough. Freddi, what kind of cab do you use? When recording basses most people use a mix of miced cab and a direct signal from the bass right into the mixer, often the mic will be cut because the direct signal sounds a lot better. (cleaner deeper, more dynamic)

had a "bassier tone" than many electrics with round wounds

The electrics totaly depends on your amp and especially your cab.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.