Need advice wiring a tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to build my own bass/guitar cab.
I'm using a peavey ipr 1600 rated at 800x2 @ 2 ohms
on chan 1 I have an 18" 4 ohm peavey black widow and 2 15" 8 ohm bws
on chan 2 I am looking to put in 4 8 ohm peavey scorpions (only speakers I can easily find rated for 200 watts).

I would also like to add a tweeter with on chan 2 but I'm not really sure how to wire a tweeter.
I imagine I would have to use a crossover to keep the tweeter from blowing.

Do I need to lose one of the 12" guitar speakers to add a tweeter or will the crossover maintain my proper ohm load?

Also where do I get a passive crossover that can handle that wattage?

Piezo tweeters need no crossover, but aside from them sounding crummy, I wouldn;t recommend them in a cabinet subjected to 800 watts.

You might just look at how commercial bass cabs with tweeter do it.

You would most likely want a small horn tweeter, and a crossover for it. The sound coming through it is pretty much off the main response of the woofers, so you can just tack it on the 4x12. The woofers run full range, the horn is crossed at whatever seems appropriate. SO the crossover would just be for the horn. Very common to have an L-pad or other arrangement after the crossover to make the horn level adjustable. or an on off switch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.