Post your DIY Musical Instruments/Amps here!

My latest DIY build, 600+ watts and 9 lbs:

PW8B_case2.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
My modest collection

I'm the wife of Thermionic Idler, who is in the midst of a fairly epic project that I'm not sure he's posted about here yet. I've come to DIYAudio to look for ideas for my very first project, a small analog guitar amp because we roll old school in this house. (So old school, the first house we lived in together was named Old School House.)

I've currently got:

• Washburn EA-45 acoustic/electric, walnut finished cedar top, rosewood back/sides
  • Larrivée parlor guitar (spruce/mahogany)
  • Yamaha CVP-509 Clavinova (Therm's baby)

And! I'm about to get back, finally, a first-year reissue Danelectro DC-3 (silver sparkle) that I had to sell to a friend years ago to help fund an emergency cross-country move. He offered it back to me recently, admitting he only ever played it a few times, and soon it will be winging its way across the Atlantic to my new home in England.

My dream electric is an original '72 Tele Custom (I played one once, years before the reissues, and have never forgotten how perfect it felt/sounded), but the DC-3 is a fun toy and is also sparkly, because some little girls never grow out of sparkly, and no matter how much flannel I wear or how many tattoos I get, I am apparently one of them.

I'm also in the market for a ukulele as Therm has been getting me into George Formby. I'll probably go with a Washburn since they're a trusted source. Experienced uke players are free to try to change my mind. In fact I'd welcome opinions re: whether to go with a soprano or concert.

...My dream electric is an original '72 Tele Custom (I played one once, years before the reissues, and have never forgotten how perfect it felt/sounded)...

Those original Tele 'versions' were great - and if the Custom is good enough for Keef... ;) I used to have a Tele Deluxe - the one with the 2 wide range pickups and the Strat neck... Mine also had a trem that was fitted at Fender... I regret selling that one!

As for my current squeezes - kit-built guitars, and parts-casters, always, apart from one of these, which used to be a US Strat - now with Floyd Rose and other... differences. The two Les Pauls are my main pieces. The quilted one and the 'B**tardCaster' both have my own home-made pickups in it (even made the coil winding machine myself). The resonator was all acoustic, until I got a bit handy with a drill and put the electrics in there. Now it sounds like a monster when plugged in and cranked up!

Attachments

• LP2.jpg
    LP2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 348
  • LP1.jpg
    LP1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 343
  • PartsCasters.jpg
    PartsCasters.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 342
  • BastardCaster.jpg
    BastardCaster.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Resonator.jpg
    Resonator.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 248
Good to see more DIY instruments and amps.

Here is some DIY, not all finished yet though.

A coworker and myself enrolled in a night time wood shop class to improve our DIY skills and have access to a really large shop with plenty of tools and lots of room. I set out to build a unique guitar, and he set out to build an electric Uke. It just happened that we reached the moment of "first sound" on the same night, so an unamplified impromptu jam session erupted. Pic #1

First sound is where you slap strings on an unfinished instrument to verify intonation and playability before wasting more time on unplayable junk. I have tossed guitar ideas into the dumpster at this point before.

I added a button pad for Ableton clip launching to my guitar Pic #2 at about the same time my 41 year career ended, and nigh time woodworking class ended for me.

My friend finished his Uke and went on to make several more. Pic #3

I moved twice covering 1200 miles since then and still haven't finished the guitar. Still trying to build a new electronics lab....then I will build a small woodshop to finish that guitar and make more.

In the mean time I started on another project. It required only a table saw for the simple frame, which I can set up in the front yard. It is just a breadboard, but it is a full 1V/OCT music synth. Note the blue perf board front panel, Pic #4, and green vector board sound engine. Pic #5. With upgraded CPU, Pic #6.

First sound demo can be heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWf8Ohfw9EU&t=7s

I'm working on a MIDI to CV interface so that my DAW can play real music through this thing. Then a better demo or two will follow.

Here is a little 4 tube 4 watt guitar amp that evolved from a design started several years ago in the Hundred Buck Amp Challenge. I have a real Tolex and wood case for it, still unfinished though. Pics 7, 8 and 9.

The amp disappeared into a box in Florida and was not seen for a few years. I found it about a year ago in West Virginia and rebuilt into an amp I actually use. I recently found the remains of another amp that I built for that challenge. It was a real screamer, and will get rebuilt into something cool too!

My studio desk. It comes from Guitar Center, but you do have to build it! Pic 10.

Attachments

• Teensy3_6_x.jpg
    Teensy3_6_x.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 168
  • NuCPU_back_x.jpg
    NuCPU_back_x.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 166
  • NuCPU_front_x.jpg
    NuCPU_front_x.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Uke_a.jpg
    Uke_a.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 385
  • GuitarInProgress_a.jpg
    GuitarInProgress_a.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 391
  • WoodshopMusic_a.jpg
    WoodshopMusic_a.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 381
  • StudioDesk_x.jpg
    StudioDesk_x.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Chassis_4_x.jpg
    Chassis_4_x.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Chassis_2_x.jpg
    Chassis_2_x.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 162
  • Chassis_1_x.jpg
    Chassis_1_x.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: 1 user
60/60 watt tube power amplifier finally finished

20170705_092013.jpg Hi all this is my on again off again,stereo tube guitar amplifier,60 watt of stereo 6550,2 per side. it's based on a Joseph norwood still/kevin o'conner design,it use a balance/bias circuit by o'conner,finally done,whew!!