Post your DIY Musical Instruments/Amps here!

That's absolutely lovely. Are you willing to post the 6SL7 front end circuit schematic?

You wouldn't the same passinwind from talkbass now wouldya?

Graeme

Hi Graeme. Yes, I frequent TB all too often and use the same handle there. I have a few more minor tweaks in mind, but I will most likely post the whole Spice sim once I am satisfied with the design. I'll be sure to PM you when I do that.

what i got

here's what it is

pic 1-
Epiphone Dot Studio
Washburn Acoustic
- bridge is cracked and barely holdin' on, but i paid $120 for her close to 10 years ago, so she'll play to the end

pic 2-
these are the good ones
home made electric lap slide
good ole' fashion diddley bo
- i'm a guy who loves a project, all shapes and sizes

pic 3-
Crate 15W solid state combo amp
Zoom GFXsomethin multi-effect pedal
- these two are posted on CL

pic 4-
Vox Lil' Night Train - tube amp head
saw this guy at guitar center for cheap(ish)
this is the reason the amp and pedal are for sale
this is the reason joined this forum

i've got a speaker cab to build...probably something small 1 10" or 12" speaker...but that's a thread i'll start in the right place at the right time

Attachments

• DSC00167.jpg
    DSC00167.jpg
    887.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC00168.jpg
    DSC00168.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC00169.jpg
    DSC00169.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00171.jpg
    DSC00171.jpg
    799.7 KB · Views: 199
My current setup

Well, by way of an introduction I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my current bass setup.

Here's my regular bass

It's a custom made 5 string Fender Jazz clone with a licensed Mighty Mite neck, ash body with flame maple top, Schaller 3D bridge, Nordstrand pickups, Audere 3Z preamp.
It's heavy (12lbs), but I don't mind for the sound ;-)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is my current cab

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's a Schroeder 1210R that I bought cheap and refurbished, I've turned it into an active cab by adding a Hypex UcD400 Class D power amp and SMPS400 switch mode PSU. I usually drive this with a Line6 Bass Pod Pro, but I'm looking for an Ampeg SVT-Pro valve preamp to replace this.

Another project on the go is a Fearful 12SUB to go under the Schroeder for LOUD gigs :) This will also be powered by another Hypex UcD400 amp.
I'll post another pic when it's finished.

Okay, here's some pics of my latest prototype acoustic guitar. One interesting feature is the built-in boundary mic on the bridge. It is intended to represent the 'golden age' of acoustic instruments, hence the olde timey look. It is carbon fiber reinforced in the neck and tone rings, with a tailpiece that takes the tension of the strings, but also couples the strings to the bridge (my own innovation). No one that I know of utilizes this system, or the built-in boundary mic on the top - not inside the body.
I am currently building a circuit utilizing a 'linkwitz modded' ectectret that I want to power with phantom power only. I would like to explore a shoeps style (balanced in & outs) and also couple an undersaddle piezo through a charge amp circuit using op amps. I happen to have an LME 49724 balanced line buffer for the final stage. Any ideas? I would like to try splitting the 48v to run both the op amps and the electret, with no onboard battery. This is a challenge, since I haven't found any circuits that fulfill these requirements. Thank you in advance. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Guitar tailblock XLR connector email.jpg
    Guitar tailblock XLR connector email.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Guitar condenser mic placement email.jpg
    Guitar condenser mic placement email.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Guitar soundhole grille email.jpg
    Guitar soundhole grille email.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Guitar email.jpg
    Guitar email.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Closeup of mic bridge.jpg
    Closeup of mic bridge.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: 1 user
Okay, here's some pics of my latest prototype acoustic guitar. One interesting feature is the built-in boundary mic on the bridge. It is intended to represent the 'golden age' of acoustic instruments, hence the olde timey look. It is carbon fiber reinforced in the neck and tone rings, with a tailpiece that takes the tension of the strings, but also couples the strings to the bridge (my own innovation). No one that I know of utilizes this system, or the built-in boundary mic on the top - not inside the body....

very interesting :) it looks fantastic ;)

bought a Hughes & Kettner "Edition Blue 15" cheap at a cash converters a couple of weeks ago, nice sounding amp but only had a cheap 8" driver, fortunately the baffle came off easily, only 4 screws. made a new baffle with a 12" speaker I had lying around....that's better....

Garage Hermit, - love that holey Tele...
bob91343, electrets require an impedance converting preamp...

marvinkite, there are many simple and good transistor circuits to power electret mic elements with phantom power, but running an opamp off phantom power may be pushing the limits, and would definitely be unconventional.

You should a new thread with this question.

phantom powered op amps

That's my point! If you spec out the LME 79724 you'll see it's capable of great voltage swings (headroom), very low noise and can run from single source supplies. Ohm's law trades voltage for current so I figure 48v down to say 24v would yield 12v plus/minus at twice the current of the original 48v. Am I right?? So how is it no one has tried phantom powering a balanced line preamp with a modest gain product of say, 100? A shoeps approach would be mostly passive, and won't allow for blending in a charge amp to drive a high-z piezo under saddle pickup. I'm hoping to build a built-in preamp circuit that provides balanced low-z outs, blends two input high-z sources, and doesn't require a current eating dc to dc converter to feed the op amp (or amps). Tell me it isn't possible? I know it can be done, I just want to get it right.

hey Bob, according to all the circuits for electrets (and I've looked at many-including the 'linkwitz mods') they all require a dc current source to drive the FET front-end that's also in the little mic capsule. True, the electret condenser is basically a charged wafer capacitor, but the AC collected on the back is amplified by the built-in FET which needs curent. Question #2- a 'boundary microphone' is a term given to a class of small condenser microphones that lay down on a boundary (flat surface) where the sound waves are picked up close to the surface which boosts the effective free-air impedance of the soundwaves by as much as 3db (also called half-space sound doubling). It was the closest any one could get to making a PZM (pressure zone microphone) which is directed about 20 thousanths above a boundary (flat plane) in the 'pressure zone' region that exists at the surface of all planes, without violating the patent protection on this class of microphone. Google PZM microphones and Boundary microphones. In summary, you get a soundwave boost without a lot of distortion.

hey Benb,
Thanks for answering. I thought this forum was made for those hobbyists who like to challenge themselves. Most DIYers that I know are into modding equipment because they see an opportunity to exploit a circuit because they can make it better. I could certainly use some help with this circuit idea (read original post), since I can't find anything on the internet to help me. If you can, I surely appreciate it. Are you a musician? Here's a better picture of my guitar prototype.

Attachments

• Guitar full email.jpg
    Guitar full email.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 402
Reactions: 1 user