Post your DIY Musical Instruments/Amps here!

My ERB:

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 387
  • backside.JPG
    backside.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 385
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
My shortscale graphite neck(Moses) have arrived

for those who doesnt know, scale is measure length of free swinging string
compared to a 20fret you can see that due to being a 24fret this particular shortscale gets a bit longer
actually the neck will go all the way to the pickup
I suspect its a refretted "standard" neck, a neat trick
results in a small body with long horns, and I expect it will look very nicely balanced

phase accurate, your ERB looks fantastic
fretless 8string must very difficult to play

Attachments

• IMG_1563 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1563 (Large).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1570 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1570 (Large).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 292
Just a few random pics of my basses and DIY bass rigs:

BSX electric upright, Crescent Moon fretless:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

fEarful 12/6 cab, Passinwind 5B preamp, IcePower plate amp underneath:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DIY 15/6/1 cabs in stereo bass rig, BMS 15N630/B&C 6MD38/ BMS 4552ND on 18Sound XT1086:

Aikido Line Driver using pcb from GlassAudio, 2 X 6SN7:

Passinwind 5B, based on ESP universal mixer project pcb:

I have many more, but I'll leave those for another day.

Last edited:
Gday guy's,

Good to see some more pictures have been loaded, I have been working over 18hrs a day just recently trying to fill orders from customers.
I have been designing a new Linguist Bass Guitar as well that is coming along nicely.

Tinitus,

How's your new Bass going, any sound clips to listen to?

Gday peckerwood,

Do you have any soundclips on the net somewhere, Id like to have a listen to what you play.

Cheers

Last edited:
WDCW, I was going to send you a private message but you have that feature turned off I think. I would love it if everybody wanted to listen to my stuff but I hate to shamelessly promote myself (I like it when other people do though) so send me a message and I will direct you to it.

I appreciate your reply and would like to do this, but cannot find 'open with'. I used the 'manage attachments' and pulled them from 'my documents'.

Metalthrashinman just resize them to no larger than around 500 x whatever size. I have found that size to work well on forums and in emails. Most cameras will make them a lot larger than that. With my camera 30% does make it come out about right but might not with all of them. Your software is probably automatically resizing them when you look at them but not actually changing the files.

Hmm... Yeah, put sound clips up if you like. I plan to do so at some point. I mean, if it's restricted to pictures, we can say it looks nice, but being able to listen would be much better, IMHO.

Chris

Edit, if we could find a way to embed the sound clip in some sort of media player, methinks that'd be better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
The guitar looks great because the wood looks GREAT. Natural finish.

Not possible for me to record something before New Year. I'll record some clean sounds but probably what you will hear is the tone of the pickups+amp combo not the tone of this guitar. Anyway, if I survive the Christmas festivities you will hear something.

Stalker, yeah, I could fix it. Again. That'd be the third time, and, if I'm honest, it wasn't enough for stage use. 50w@4ohm, into a 10" driver and 12" extension cab, each with a ~97dB@1w speaker... Thinking about it, it should've been enough...
Currently, it works up to practice levels (quiet for a 10" driver), but won't go further.
The problem is that it was never made to be a stage amp. When I beefed up the PSU and output transistors, other things began to fail. It'd be a complete re-fill of the circuit board with all new components. The circuit board itself is knackered, after two resistor failures (the same one both times, so the track's gone). It's also got a hairline crack somewhere, so, when the board's flexed, the bias messes up badly.
It could be a good project for someone that has more time. I've probably spent more time fixing it than playing it (certainly feels like it), so I decided it's time to lay it to rest.

I've tried recording using a vocal mic (60Hz-18kHz reponse, should be okay...), plugged into a mixing desk (used as a mic pre-amp), into the PC's line in. Sounds like a completely different amp, so I'm still playing around. It'll be guitar>>amp>>mic>>PC>>recorded. Then probably convert to MP3 to avoid huge files.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Chris, have you tried taking line-out from the instrument amplifier straight into line in on the PC???

I did try that too and I didn't like the sound. Kind of sterile. Of course it could be good enough to post some clips on the web, that is, if you don't have high standards. But I don't want to be part of that 90% of awfully sounding guitar clips that invade the net. It's better not to post anything, there's too much crap already.

Agreed, the speaker's response characteristics add to the sound somewhat, so bypassing that would only give half the story... They seem to contribute more to the "tone" when you turn it up - cone break-up etc etc...

I've been busy this week, but I might be able to get something done this weekend...

I did try that too and I didn't like the sound. Kind of sterile. Of course it could be good enough to post some clips on the web, that is, if you don't have high standards. But I don't want to be part of that 90% of awfully sounding guitar clips that invade the net. It's better not to post anything, there's too much crap already.
You're right, distortion and artifacts are part of music, and people like it, gives records that personal sound. Otherwise, there wouldn't exist distortion effects, pedals for modeling the sound...

Sometimes my mind only thinks about the way of making perfect amplifiers and reproducing sounds without any interference/distortion, NOT ABOUT CREATING SOUNDS.
When creating there are no rules, just what you like or what you don't

Best regards,
Regi