how should i power this reverb amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, my name is omar, i built a tube amp and now i want to add a reverb unit i found. how can i power this clean and hum free? it is going to go into a clone of a bassman 5f6a it is originally from a baldwin organ. I think the transistors are S429-2? cant really find much..but i need the 22+ I would be able to build a ps with its own transformer? HELLP i dont want to screw this up.

4367175876_f2f231f5f4_o.jpg

that schem is one half of it....it has two springs/circuits....here are pictures of the unit:

4370210973_21da5b4652_o.jpg

4370210907_34e2d127a8_o.jpg

I really dont know how to find out about what kind of power supply to build...i dont know how much current should it get? i dont know anything about time variant equations either...well not enough to find out the total power i should give it.....if someone could help me with a ps circuit i could trade for more schematics (knight, bogen, setchell carlson, redd47,) i even have a wurlitzer reverb tank that needs power maybe for sale or trade as well...so whatdoya say?

Hi Omar. Difficult to tell the exact current draw without knowing the impedance of the reverb drive coil, but even if it was a short circuit, TR1 can only pas 32mA because of the emitter resistor. Allow a few mA for the rest of the circuit and it will take less than 50mA. Should be straight forward to make a clean supply for this using a standard variable regulator like LM317T followed by an RC network. Had a quick google about noise of these things and found this Simple Voltage Regulators Part 1: Noise - [English] and the following page gives lower noise circuits too. There are posts on these forums about low noise power supplies too - happy reading.
HTH,
Brian.

It wants a 22V supply. The simplest way to find out how much current it wants is to connect it to a laboratory power supply with current limiting. Set the output voltage to 22V. Turn the current down to zero. Connect the supply to the unit. Turn up the current until the voltage stabilises at 22V and note the current. Put in a signal and see if the current draw changes.

w

ok the drive coil was 130ohms, I went ahead and built a filtered power supply and regulated it with a lm17 so I can get 22.01v on my dmm, I might get some flak here but I used a doorbell transformer....It is working I should draw a schematic and throw it up here but now its covered. thanks guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.