AC15 Heritage Project w/ Sound Clips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I wanted to share my latest project with everyone, a Vox AC15. I basically gutted a Custom Classic and reused the cab, chassis and transformers. The most challenging part was the layout. The chassis was already cramped before I decided to add 3 extra tubes and a huge cathode resistor and cap.

Pretty much all of the circuit components are Weber parts as you can see in the pictures.

These are the changes I made compared to the Heritage being sold now:
1.) Used a separate heater supply transformer since I wasn't sure about the capacity of the custom classic one.
2.) Used a copper cap instead of EZ81.
3.) Only wired the high gain inputs since that is all I ever use anyway.
4.) Left out the power tube triode switch so that it is always in pentode mode.
5.) Tweaked the power tube screen and cathode resistors to lower the plate dissipation.

I was originally playing the amp with the Wharfdale speaker and once I put in the Celestion Blue, it really did sound like a new amp. I wasn't sure whether to believe all the people online raving about this speaker, but now I'm one of them...To my ears, it definitely is the perfect compliment to the sound of this amp.

About the sound clips:
The first clip is of the EF86 channel with a cranked lead tone. I liked that tone so much that I never changed pickups or settings to demo the versatility of the channel. I'll make some time this week to record some clean stuff as well.

The second clip is of the top boost channel. I switch through all 5 pickup settings on the Strat. I noticed after recording this that I'm getting a mechanical buzz on certain notes. I'll track that down before I make any more clips.

Thanks again to everyone that took time to help me out on this project.

Pics:
Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Sound clips:
SoundClick artist: Nathan Mansfield - page with MP3 music downloads

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
stalker, the title of the post is the schematic. Not too hard to find online.

Why should I? Mine sounds better.:D
Post the schematic and I'll tell you what I think of it. Can't post clips, in a couple of months I may record some awesome sounds but I can't now. No hurry though, plenty of time for you to make mods. Cap coupling value in the new AC15 is too high for the ef86 stage...and the screen resistor too high also.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Don't brag about this awesome amp you have and then tell me you can't post clips for a couple of months.

You can wait, can't you? Better to know well your amp before you start modding it. I don't brag, no need to, if it were a subtle difference I would have stayed quiet.

Still no schematic or link, so you deserve what you have.:D
That's well, better for you to be satisfied ... I will spoil that happy feeling in about two months. Stay tuned.:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Excellent links!
Can't see the pics, can't download the music and now this.

Ok I had enough, I was trying to help even though you didn't notice.
Best sounding AC15 schematic attached. Don't wait for the clips.

Should have known better...
Guitar amp techs need to read Confucio everyday to stay healthy I guess.
Oh and tube rectifiers sound better in that amp.

Attachments

• ac15.jpg
    ac15.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 77
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK guys, quit the sniping.

nate_d, personal attacks are a sin-binnable offense. I have deleted your last post, this is the only warning you'll get.

You will also notice that the links in your 1st post require your user and pass so are useless to anyone else (and if the clips are MP3s what is that going to tell anyone?). Your link in post 9 was completely mangled as your posted it, i fixed it as best i could.

dave :cop:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.