1KW power - what do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where do I begin..?

So I have a plan to build a 1KW PA system in the next few years. I have been apart of the rave scene in England for years, and also run my own events and I am determined to build my own valve sound system.

So obviously a number of questions arise..

Can I build a 1KW valve sound system?

Well I can but is it worth it? Is it worth having 80 EL84s with transformers the size of a house, or big valves with very high HT? Im not convinced.

There is a 'supposedly' 100KW valve sound system in the UK, which I believe only uses valves in the small signal stage. Now im not sure that this is what im looking for. Would you really notice the difference of sound quality with valves only at the input? Im also not convinced...

So in my eyes ive only got one route to go down, bi-amping. So my suggestion is to use a solid state amp for bass, lets say up to 600Hz, and then valves running the middle and top. Would say, 200W per channel be enough for a venue for 1000 people? Maybe.... maybe if im running horns?

Anyway, I guess thats it for the moment. If anyone has any ideas, or if any one can help I would be very grateful.

Cheers guys

Charlie

you need to look into larger transmitting tubes like the sv572. a pair can put out 200watts. for a 1k watt amp you'd need custom wound transformers but totally do-able. you're not likely to find a schematic for the amp you envision so you're going to have to pick your power tube, find the load lines and break out a slide ruler.

approach this idea with caution though. tweeters and compression drivers will ruthlessly show off any and all noise in an amplifier and a dedicated midrange driver will make a loud clicking noise if your power amp clips at all.

Everything can (or has already been) done with tubes, but the question is: Would it be practical?

The amplifier project in which I'm working (independent single channel modules) plays up to 10KW peak of music into 2 ohms producing so little heat that a fan is barely required, and is not bigger or heavier than two times an ATX PC power supply. This is achieved with solid state class D and the latest generation of switching transistors.

It's easily transportable and wastes no electricity at all, and yes, I have tested it in raves where electricity supply is not usually good or abundant.

How much would something similar done with tubes weight? How much electricity would be wasted? Would a car be enough to move several amplifier channels from rave to rave? :D

A 1000 watt solid state amp would be a great challenge, but when your on a mission for a 1000 watt valve amp....

AM radio transmitters used to use plate modulation which meant the RF output included the modulation audio power. The audio amp had to be at least half the RF rating. Now for a 50,000 watt transmitter ..... Look up radio station WLW which was 500 KW. Now THAT's an audio amp that was done in the 1930s - before transistors.

Very interesting points Eva, all of which i have thought about. My dream for the 1KW valve amp is really just for me. I would love to build it and use it at my events. Of course it wouldnt always be practical to take it everywhere with me. But in hired venues where I wouldnt be paying the electricity bills I think it would sound great...

Easier with SS. Several articles in 1980's Elektor magazine had these as projects.

11.20 What is amplifier "bridging" or "monoblocking"? How do I do it?

This site explains when tube amps are bridged. I've done it even though anticipated power is less than for SS.
Make sure that the correct impedance matching is done otherwise as article mentions, output stage will get hammered and current will rocket.

richy

1KW using 4 x 813 Transmitter tubes and a 2.5KV power supply.
Death in a glass bottle :)

Champ 1000 Watt Tube Amp

That was exactly where I was going to direct Charlie.

I'm not sure If I'd trust that much voltage near ravers (although I guess they manage to not destroy anything when there are wall sockets in abundance...)

Ignoring the expense and weight issues, the thing I would be wanting to know is, can you get a good enough power supply where you're going to power these? I would assume you would be wanting stereo for this, and that would be taking a whole lot of power, more than my GPO can supply at least (I don't think many rave locations have 3-phase handy?)

Just my 2c.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.