1x12" guitar speaker cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a Jensen MOD12-35 8ohm speaker for christmas. I have a 24" x 24" x 5/8" MDF panel that I originally cut and planned on using for a different project that I plan on using.

My question though is, is this speaker designed for open back cabinets?

I used WinISD to model an enclosure, and with its extremely high QTS, it has a large peak around resonance in a sealed enclosure

Wouldn't an open backed design be even worse, as the back would be functioning somewhat like a port?

Are there any good resources on guitar cabinet building and theory? All of the enclosures I have built in the past have been for HIFI speakers, which is a bit of a different approach than a guitar speaker.

Most guitar cab designs ignore factors that are commonly considered in hi-fi. Remember that the point is not necessarily to accurately amplify - the amp/speaker is, at least these days, part of the sound of the instrument and the characteristic colorations/distortions that are introduced are desired. Thus you have open backed cabs, "floating" baffles, speakers with "peaky" responses, etc. Generally in guitar cabs, the open back designs have such a large opening that they function more as a dipole speaker than as a ported cab. Ported cabs are the norm for bass guitar, but for regular electric guitars there is usually little output below 80 Hz, and most everything below about 120 Hz is covered by the bass and drums, so its not as big a deal. Also, depending on the tuning, a ported cab in certain situations could stress the speaker unduly. For guitar, the usual concerns are for high output (sensitivity) in the mids and highs, and more importantly having it "sound right". "Gearhead" guitarists routinely change out perfectly good speakers with others without any concern for any changes to the cab in order to pursue the sound in their heads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.