Ross pc-4110 amp circuit or help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How zit all :) ! Please help. Got this system in and people (bush technicians) already had a go at it.Want to try and repair , but not sure if the right transistors is in and if wired correctly. The output transistor is not solder on
the pcb. Instead it is wired. So now I dont know if it has the right parts in it and if it is wired correctly. Any one have advise or know where I can get the circuit.Will post pics if someone is willing to check it out.
Regards
Vick

Here is the Picture's

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 314
I used to work for Ross Systems when it was at 1200 East Lancaster Fort Worth TX 76102. I was a quality control inspector. Actually THE quality control inspector for 4 years. I feel fairly qualified to comment on the quality of their products.

They suck! Some units have good designs because they steal them from good quality stuff on the market. They copy it but then make it using the cheapest labor possible and the cheapest parts possible. The failure rate of a lot of their **** was 50% and higher. Absolutely ridicules. They had few very good units I can remember. Actually 2. One was called the DDL-1000 digital delay and the other was the R-12 equalizer and both were made in Japan. Everything else was made in Taiwan.

To be honest I am blown away to hear that they are still in business. It doesn't seem possible to me. Got a warranty? Might as well forget about it. I have seen returns still sitting on the dock that had not even been brought inside yet that were received 2 years previously. The only stuff that was tended to in a prompt manner was peoples gear who had endorsements (Lee Greenwood).

They got a deal with Foreigner to build a monitor system for a tour and foreigner sued them for breach of contract. They said what Ross delivered did not qualify as a monitor system and it definitely did not qualify as a pro-audio concert touring monitor system. Several employees severely protested against the way that system was designed and built and got fired for it. They could have avoided a lawsuit if they had listened to the guys they fired. The only way to get ahead there was to do lame *** work but never say you were doing lame *** work out loud. Fastest way to be fired was to come up with a good idea and tell anybody about it.

I could go on and on with all kinds of amazing ways that place was so unbelievably screwed up. The unbelievable part was that they were still in business. That was in the mid 80s and now to find out they are STILL in business seems surreal.

Actually considering that it is made by Ross Systems if I already had it apart and all the power transistors removed I would go ahead and replace all of the power transistors and be really careful about mounting them on the heat sinks because they have bogus heat sinks so you don't want to make it even worse by not having one or more not dissipating the heat as well as possible which is what is going to happen over and over with that amp. I probably don't need to tell you how to do that. The output transistors will cook. All Ross amps from smaller than that to much bigger will cook output transistors in a year or two if you use it very much. When you replace them replace them with some good ones not the same brand that was in it.

I used to work for Ross Systems when it was at 1200 East Lancaster Fort Worth TX 76102. I was a quality control inspector. Actually THE quality control inspector for 4 years.
The unbelievable part was that they were still in business. That was in the mid 80s and now to find out they are STILL in business seems surreal.

wow. it seems as though that's what I've read or heard from other people about other companies. And I know for a fact that many companies, including one I worked for, skimped on some component or procedures for cost reasons. Oh well...

In your opinion, is it worth to buy some of their older guitar pedals? I mean the early eighties stuff, I get the impression they stopped making them in around 1983 or so, judging from what I've seen in guitar magazines like guitar player.

I left there around 85 and they still made them then but it might not have been too long after that. I am not sure.

Here is the deal with Ross effects pedals. There is nothing wrong with the designs. They steal them from MXR usually or some other company. They sound good. They are not all that roadworthy though. If you get a Ross Flanger that sounds terrible (meaning it came out of there either before or after I worked there) you can probably adjust it to make it sound good using the two pots inside of it.

Do I endorse them? No. But if price is the most important consideration? Yes but only if they are a lot cheaper than say an MXR or something. Just don't expect them to last forever. Sometimes they do though. What do I endorse if price is of no concern? MXR. I used a lot of Ross effects but none of them survived that long. I am really tough on equipment though.

One more thing about Ross equipment. All Ross equipment. Forget about product support. If that matters to you do not ever buy anything made by Ross. Forget about warranty repairs especially. It will never happen.I may have already mentioned that. If so I apologize.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.