MARSHALL Valvestate VS100r additional mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a few VS100 mods posted by Costipato and references to
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/707/100moduc2.gif
I did most of those mods and they do make a nice difference but not quite the drastic change I was looking for. So here's a few more.
I HATE the clean channel with a passion.
Rewire the tone stack to a fender wiring. Much better even without changing anything else. The clean channel becomes usable with a more bell like quality instead of a nasaly anemic weakling you want to smash with a sledgehammer.
Personally I prefer the clean channel with c39 (brite cap) removed but you could toss a switch in there as well.
No bad but still a little, ah er, flat and lifeless. hmmm....

Cut the trace between C33 and IC4 pin 5. Stick a unity gain fet in there
according to this schematic. I'm sure someone could make it better and without needing any source resistor (more second harmonics). You are reusing the original input connections so you don't need them on the fet preamp.
The idea is to switchit in and out with a true bypass switch on the panel
without a noticable level change.
The change appears subtle at first. When you try chuck chucking the guitar
with a light left hand mute (a la Hendrix/SRV) the change punches you in the face. The the harmonics pop right out. Overall the amp becomes much easier to play and you don't have to fight to get any response out of it. This leaves you with the best of both, a fendery clean and the standard marshall overdrive in ONE stock amp.
Excellent patch for someone stuck with a VS100 as a main or backup amp
in our nasty economy.
Cheers to all the other financially challenged DIY ers out there.

Attachments

• ScottVS100mods.gif
    ScottVS100mods.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.