Custom Flying V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been around and usually I hang out in the tube section , but I just finished building a guitar and it came out exceptionally well. So , have a look;)

DSC03468.jpg

DSC03469.jpg

DSC03470a.jpg

It was appraised by sight only at guitar center for around 2 grand but those that have played it would give a lot more. The pickups are GFS Dream 90 single coils. It whispers like SRV's number one for any blues guys out there, which is exactly what it was designed to play. I wanted a vintage Gibson look and they never did the V in a gold top , so it's the only one in the world, enjoy.

OH MY GOODNESS!

A goldtop Flying V? Why didn't Gibson think of that?

That is just beautiful, wicked and catchy altogether. I love it!

I think you'd have no problems at all selling those if you wanted to...

And P-94 pickups? The only time I've ever seem those is on Colin Macdonald's (the trews) Les Paul. And it sounds GOOD!

cheers

Oh, P-90s? well, I guess you should know, you bought them. I just thought that because they reminded me of the P-94. Maybe I'm missing somehing here.

You know you might not get in trouble because you have a truly original design here. The only thing similar and that Gibson could lay on you is the overal shape, which is no doubt a perfect copy of the original '83 design, which I would guess is a replica of the '67 design. You have too many different things that Gibson did not put on their V, not even as an option, I should think:

- P90 pickups, for starters
-slightly diferent headstock shape, as another reader pointed out (it has the 58 shape, more pointy than the 67 shape right?)
-binding (I know last year's custom V had binding but no gold finish)
-24 frets (no one seems to have commented on that)

Oh man, every time I look at I love it more! I am sure I'm not the only one who wants one like that...
I bet you if Rudolph Schenker sees that, you'll really be in trouble!

gain-wire said:
Oh, P-90s? well, I guess you should know, you bought them. I just thought that because they reminded me of the P-94. Maybe I'm missing somehing here.

You know you might not get in trouble because you have a truly original design here. The only thing similar and that Gibson could lay on you is the overal shape, which is no doubt a perfect copy of the original '83 design, which I would guess is a replica of the '67 design. You have too many different things that Gibson did not put on their V, not even as an option, I should think:

- P90 pickups, for starters
-slightly diferent headstock shape, as another reader pointed out (it has the 58 shape, more pointy than the 67 shape right?)
-binding (I know last year's custom V had binding but no gold finish)
-24 frets (no one seems to have commented on that)

Oh man, every time I look at I love it more! I am sure I'm not the only one who wants one like that...
I bet you if Rudolph Schenker sees that, you'll really be in trouble!

Way back in 1984 I bought a RR Jackson , serial number RR604, which was out of the first thousand manufactured and It was like going from a Honda to a Lexus. This V plays like that. My brother still has that Jackson (i can't talk him out of it) and despite a few paint chips on the wing tips it's in pristine condition (always polished and case kept in an air conditioned climate). I stopped bugging him about it when I finished this V. I didn't expect it to play this well to be honest as it was my first effort at building and I have some paint booth issues to work out in my shop (this is the second paint job because of wood dust), but if someone offered the right amount, after playing it of course, I would sell it. In the meantime I play now every chance I get. Guitar players understand how inspirational the right guitar truly is.
Here is the link for the pickups http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr90husip90g1.html and you'll crap when you see what I paid for them. Funny thing is, I bought them off ebay unheard until I finished this guitar simply because they fit the look I wanted. I was fully prepared to rewind them but no need. The happiest accident I've ever experienced and I heartilly recomend them for anyone tired of that super hot humbucking mud. They'll give you that Mick Jones/ Foreigner type of crunch, ballsy and clean.

Here is the newest addition and the "for now completion" of my rig

027.jpg

This is a just finished 20 watt class a output 2-12 combo better known over at the AX84 site http://www.ax84.com/ as a SEL. It has 3 gain stages, (of which the last one can be switched out for a more Fender type of sound or left in for a Marshall style crunch), with a single EL34 tube for output. Solid state rectification creates perhaps too steady an influence so a tube rectifier could be in it's future. For now I'll let it burn in like it is and decide later. The cabinet was built in the shop and tolex and grillcloth came from Mojo's. Surely this plus the V makes me feel like the "cats meow" , now all I need is practice ;)

P.S. sorry for the fuzzy picture, I don't see too well anymore.

SY said:
Could you give some details on the neck? That's where the Lexus feel when playing comes in. Yours is quite intriguing and has me thinking...

The one thing I bought and didn't build was the neck block. Here is the link to StewMac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Necks/Through-body_Guitar_Neck.html

I found out later their necks are manufactured by Carvin and you can shave a few dollars off by going to them direct. I am building up to attempt my own neck build possibly on the next one but didn't have the confidence on the first one. You never really know until your finished wether it's going in the fire or on the wall.

Hybrid_Child said:
Any ideas on what your next build will be?

I'm looking for Gibson Firebird plans right now with the reverse headstock. Pretty much the same layout, 24 fret , maple neck thru body. I love the sound of a neck thru for some reason. I haven't decided about the finish and probably won't until it comes time to finish it. Originally the V was going to be Sunburst flamed maple and you see how it turned out.

mpm32 said:
Can you give some details regarding the finish?

Was it a 2-part poured, using the binding to dam?

The finish is traditional Gold using nitrocellulose lacquer. It's actually the vintage fender candy apple red recipe without the transparent red, but only because I used a white gloss to buildup just before the gold. Gibson uses regular clear gloss for the buildup but it's hard to see the imperfections with my eyes so I use some color. The gold will tell you in a heartbeat if you have any blemish underneath. So you have a couple really thin wash coats, then grain filler, followed by 2 or 3 build coats, then the white, then the gold, then 6 to 9 coats of clear gloss. Hang it in the corner and forget about it for a month, at least, then 2000 grit wetsand flat and buff to shine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.