DAW MIDI Bar Counter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something I've always wanted to make is a unit with a few 7-segment LED displays, that shows the bar number (or possibly time) of my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software. From what I can tell, this data can be transmitted via MIDI from most audio applications. Infact, it must be - My Korg keyboard comes up with the bar number on it's display.

So what I basically want is a stand-alone version of what my Korg keyboard (A Korg TR) does, so I can hang it on the wall or sit it on the desk of my studio, so anyone can easily see what bar they're recording at, at a glance. It can be quite frustrating when the person recording in my studio keeps missing where to come in, or has to say "go back a bit", which isn't very descriptive!

Does anyone have any clue what so ever about how to go about building one of these??? :confused:

My thoughts would be to start with a microcontroller, and obviously the displays. Does anybody know how to read the MIDI data that contains the bar information?

Cheers!

any clue?

if you got a answer for this i would love to know! im looking to do the same thing.

(im actually working with a drummer and he hates it when i start messinga around with delays and reverb and really mess up his little "1,2,3,4"):D

anyway would be awesome

rekimba

What you're looking to extract from the MIDI stream is the SPP (Song Position Pointer) information traveling with the MIDI beat clock.

Should be very doable with an arudino board, a bit of code and either an LCD display or a bunch of 7 segment LEDs like you mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.