bass speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you might be right about that , but i´d still try it with a tube pre you might prefer it´s tone

Why would you want to lower it's quality?.

I can see the reasoning for guitar, where distortion is often preferred, but bass is more often clean and high quality.

This is why the vast majority of bass amps are solid state, and not valve.

You can get clean out of a valve.

Keep it running in a linear region, add some feedback around it to compensate, and there's no reason it shouldn't sound solid state.
There's a lot of cheaper guitar amps around that use a valve for marketting purposes. Its a simple cathode follower arrangement (often a 12AX7 or equivalent), and the overdrive sound is provided by some LEDs in the feedback loop of an op-amp. Lovely... NOT.

I'm working on a project to get the saturated-valve-output-stage sound from as small a box as possible, and will start a thread when I've got something to show for it.

Chris

you can choose see switch in picture

Attachments

• tubew.jpg
    tubew.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 91
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
you can choose see switch in picture

you mean the 'high/low' gain switch

its probably so that the fet input is on all the time, as a buffer, with the tube bypassed
switching to high gain, and the tube pre is on

but thats 'just' the preamp section, and got nothing to do with the output stage
my guess is that the mosfet power amp is also driven by solid state devices
in that sense the power amp is a pure solid state design

ups, I see now there is both a high/low input option and a switch to select either tube or fet input
but its still the same thing
its a preamp section, and seperated from poweramp
power amp seen seperately is most likely a pure solid state design

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
to those who wonder what this is all about :scratch::D
its calculated like a frontloaded horn
but built like a backloaded
and I was using a semi pro 15" with too high Qts
or at least I think its a major part of the problem

so, the project is to mount the woofer 'inside', giving it a small back chamber, as it should be have been from the start

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.