bass speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Gets you down to 29Hz (f3), but the box isn't small......

Suggestion is fine as such

But not for bass guitar use
Eminence and Beyma have about the same 1.5-2mm Xmax, both small and best not use below 500hz

But Beyma has advanced magnet design with shortring, cast chassis etc
Whether it matters or not
Butmost important, Beyma sensitivity seems a good deal better too

But mms and voice coil seems about same value on both
Its a bit surprising that they have totally different Qts/Vas

To me, the important reason I want to do this is to use quality drivers that are way better than what you will find in most commercial bass cabs, and cheaper

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Just now Im thinking about making it into a bigger allround speaker
One that does ALL
Guitar, bass, studio, PA, disco, party, music, or whatever you can think of
Maybe even with built in "active"
Its more expencive, and would even need be a pair
But can do a lot more, so it might be worth it

I saw something in a celestion cab. design book that would fit the "bigger, do it all" idea.

3-way design, using an 18" woofer, 10" mid, and compression driver.

I would add some filters for different inputs. For example, most guitar speakers will be pretty flat in the low-mid, dip at 1.5kHz, peak at 3kHz, then roll off steeply. You could do that with a notch filter. Here's an example - http://www.eminence-speaker.com/pdf/manowar.pdf

I presume there'll be similar shapes for bass speakers. Keyboard and vocals would be left untouched, except for a filter on the vocals for the frequency range extremes. Ultra sonic feedback is known to cook amps, and having a thud whenever you say the letter P is pretty irritating...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Right
this 12" is my choise
I also have a couple of horns
18" woofer is also a PD

Precision Devices International Limited

I consider to use a Hypex/dsp plateamp
Passive xover on tweeter
If you need a more tough pro speaker, its just to bridge the plateamp and use it on mid/tweeter, and connect a pro amp to plateamp sub-out

Attachments

• PD 12 mid.jpg
    PD 12 mid.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 196
  • McGee.jpeg
    McGee.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
hey, i know nothing about speakers. I've blown a 15 and now a 10.
I play a 5 string bass with high c, i like the crunch sound similar to that of an old mesa tube amp cranked. i currently play through a hartke system, i like the sound of the aluminum cones. any ideas on what speakers would be better for this type of sound for bass guitar?
i'm willing/capable to build. i thought that a 12" might be a good route but i don't have a clue, i just play.

I like the sound of 18 inchers, my sigma eminence pro is 650WRMS and goes upto 2KHz.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I may have to bite the dust and forget about DIY amps fore this bass rig project

New CROWN XTI1000 seems hard to beat, with dsp and all
Its a 2way, and means a tweeter will be crossed passive
But it will be crossed high, so its ok

Speakers will still be 15" / 12" / tweeter, and DIY :)

Sounds fun.

If you want to recreate the vintage tone, here's something to try...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/musi...-cheap-way-making-ss-sound-like-tube-amp.html
Put simply, you add an output transformer, but use the same voltage windings for the amp and speaker connections.
There's a lot of strange comments later on, but the idea definitely works. You'll need to play it quietly unless you use a big transformer, capable of handling "bass power".

Will you be using one of the 12"s with a whizzer, so you can raise the tweeter XO (improving power handling), or a more standard driver? Perhaps a guitar speaker would do well here - high efficiency, and a pretty wide frequency range (power handling wouldn't be too good though)...

Chris

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Will you be using one of the 12"s with a whizzer, so you can raise the tweeter XO (improving power handling), or a more standard driver? Perhaps a guitar speaker would do well here - high efficiency, and a pretty wide frequency range (power handling wouldn't be too good though)...

Chris

I have thought about the new 12" Beyma coax(neo)
But Im not sure where this project takes me
Might turn out to be a good allround power speaker as well

Anyway, so far I have decided fore the 12" PrecisionDevices, its artwork ;)

Precision Devices International Limited

Fore bass guitar it will be ok to let it roll off by itself
Fore different use it could just be crossed differently

Nice to read about this project, how's it coming along Tinitus?

I'm looking into sourcing similar parts for an allround 3 way system. Bass will be a bit different though.

I don't know if we can talk vendors here but I'm curious to see where you found the 12GA50. I think I'll get it here. Nice price. :)
I do feel this will be a bit of a dive into the deep, as no one has good info on results with this driver. I did find some crummy shots af a 4X12GA50 cab used in a tekno PAsystem somewhere online, but that's all unafortunately..

Also read you'll be using a PD for the lower freqs, perhaps the 12SB30 is a nice option at around 100 Euro's per unit, and there are already a couple of nice designs around. The MTH30 being a 'portable' one next to all the big tapped horns for it.

Last but not least, if a lightweight cab is of interest to you this tread on talkbass about a diy composite cabinet might be a good read.

Good building. :)

Ps my setup will be;
L: A&D Audio R 1524 'Linkwitz' dipole,
M: 12GA50,
H; undecided BMS driver on waveguide.
Recently dropped the idea of using a unity horn as M/H because i have no interest in building a 4way system because my active crossover could not handle that.
[EDIT; Sorry for the pollution with my projectinfo, to much into it at the moment I guess..]

Last edited:
It maybe a little late for suggestions, but try a bagend. They last forever (literally) I have one that is about 40 years old and the cab is still sturdier than my year old ampeg:rolleyes:. Try to pick one up used in bad condition that way you can have your fixing fun and it can save you some pocket cash.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Nice to read about this project, how's it coming along Tinitus?

No, I havent started it yet
Drivers still the same
Im in doubt about amplification

But hey, sometimes its good to be slow....something new may pop up :D

Im still waiting for my Moses neck :rolleyes:

But please, post your ideas, suggestions, projects, anything
And pictures would be nice too
:)

btw, its actually not my thread at all ;)

for a "cabinet" that puts out good solid bass, i've been experimenting with vertical 1/4 wave tubes, but building one that's "roadworthy" might be a bit of a challenge. i've got one at work i put together from 4" shrink wrap cores that's about 6' tall and with the 10" driver that's in it is resonant at 40hz or so. with a passive xover, it pumps out some good bottom end from my bench receiver which is a 50w/ch pioneer. i was thinking of a larger (12" dia sonotube with a 15" driver in a box at the bottom, and made of 3 or 4 3" sections that can be easily assembled. the 15" driver would be bottom firing, and a second small ported cabinet would have a 10" and and two 8" drivers for mid-bass. granted it would be an odd looking contraption, but if the efficiency i'm seeing with the one i built at work is any indication (i actually have to cut the bass about 6db to get a well balanced sound) then it's worth a try... it might seem to be a bit shorter than it should be, but i'm also at 5280 ft here in denver, so the speed of sound is around 1080fps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.