bass speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Foam Surrounds

For years I have wanted to build a nice bass rig

I feel now is the time

The popular 5-string basses obviously needs good lowend
Its mainly for home use and quality sound rather than highest SPL

This 12" hifi sub driver in a bandpass
AWM 124

For midbass/midrange maybe 12" Eminence Deltalite?
Tweeter?
Top, Ashdown Little Giant 350W?
Fame(German)?
Traben?

I would not use foam surround speakers for anything that goes on stage. They dry out over time and fail. Also very loose in most cases, or over damped if the are designed for high power. Try the Eminence 12" models, they have a great selection.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hi chronus

wow, it really took me 3 years since saying that, and actually doing it :eek::D

btw
in the end I chose this woofer
could have been a different one
I needed it fast, and made a quick choice
got a good deal, and thats what I got

but it works nicely in a small closed box
whatever, my jaws dropped when I had in my hands
almost work of art

and I got much more low end bass than expected
actually I eq it down a bit
but it only takes a second to change it from precise or 'gnarly', to fat and heavy
actually its just a matter of pushing a bypass switch ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5856.JPG
    IMG_5856.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5860.JPG
    IMG_5860.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5862.JPG
    IMG_5862.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 73
That is a real beast

You see that really looks like a killer. I'll bet that rocks. I hope you understand that I was not bashing you, just that I don't think foam is right for the stage. If you look at old Altecs or Lansing , or JBl for that matter, they are all cloth surrounds and you know that they rocked the world. All the best with your speaker. What model is that?

I have not nailed down my 12s yet, but I was also wondering if it would be a bad thing to use two 12" speakers with differing resonant frequencies in the same box. That might be a bad thing or a good thing. Not sure which yet.

I have not nailed down my 12s yet, but I was also wondering if it would be a bad thing to use two 12" speakers with differing resonant frequencies in the same box. That might be a bad thing or a good thing. Not sure which yet.

I'm using 4 mis-matched 10"s.

They're all of decent power handling and excursion, so I don't worry too much about it.

Not scientific at all, but it'll definitely work.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
my tubeworks amp has a 5 band equalizer , but i agree with pinkmouse 3 is enough

that would be a graphic EQ I guess ?

a parametric EQ would have 3 controls for each band, centre frequency, width(Q), and gain

problem is, the only kit I know is pretty expencive with 88EUR

well, I could throw the diy towel, and a just buy a D-TAR bass preamp

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
does this mean there are 9 controls, or swept means somewhat different function:confused:

No, just six. A cut/boost knob and a frequency knob. Very much like the input stage on a mid range desk. You could have a third for Q if you really wanted. ;)

That kit looks quite nice, though a tad on the expensive side. I'm sure I've seen some schematics here on diyA, you might want to have a search.

edit: Here's one from diyA, I'm sure there's more, and a very nice Calrec EQ section

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
actually, if you only want to tilt the frequency, 2 ordinary graphic 'tone controls' seems optimal
only need to find the optimal centre frequency
maybe it could be variable, somehow

I think the Quad 44 preamp had such a tone control
yep, it sure did

btw, remember I have both woofer and a mid/midwoofer
so I might be able have two different and optmised EQ systems

Attachments

• MJ_quad44.jpg
    MJ_quad44.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 38
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.