Rock Amp (70's SS guitar amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got this great little guitar amp, It goes way too loud for It's size and it gives a biting harsh fuzz sound when cranked wich I like a lot!I think It's solid state, but there are also opamps on the board...

Now like a lot of the old amps It's a 2 prong plug, not grounded
(I think that's the reason of the hum it's producing....)

I want to relocate the plug and use standard 3 core plug so there's no power cord attached anymore...

I'd like grounding to the chassis,but there's already stuff connected to the chassis, one wire from the transformer wich is also connected to a cap.....

So is it safe to just ground the chassis to my 3 way power plug I like to install?

I'm no engineer, so I hope this question isn't too silly for you guys...

I just don' want to blow this cute amp, and ofcourse don't want to risk any shocks!!!!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hm, it looks like it's a single ended supply amp, so the case will be attached to the transformers 0V tap. Earthing it will probably cause more problems than it will solve.

My guess is that the humming is caused by that 2200uF 50V capacitor, which is most likely the power supply filter capacitor, now being old and worn out. Another source of hum could simply be the transformer field being picked up by the fact that it's mounted right on top of the chassis with the circuitry in!

AS you don't have much electronics experience I'm not sure how to advise you further, but I wouldn't advise connecting an earth. You COULD however, still add an IEC socket, this is easy enough to do.

To get a shock the transformer's insulation would have to break down and the primary short to the secondary.

Without examining the amp in greater detail it's hard to say how to correctly apply earthing to this unit. The power supply will most likely require some revision to make this work correctly.

I'm wondering where that ceramic cap that's been hot glued down is going. If the other end of it is connected to the Neutral wire of the power cord - take it out!

brown to the power switch, blue to the other termimal that the power cord went to (most likely to the other power transformer wire), and the green/yellow to the ground lug. leave the ceramic cap where it is. replace the power supply cap. the unit probably needs other caps replaced, but one step at a time.

so the cable should connect:
brown to the power switch, power switch then goes to the fuse, fuse to the transformer.

blue wire then goes to the other wire from the transformer, and possibly the ceramic cap.

G/Y wire to the ground lug. leave a couple extra inches of wire on the ground.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I found this site when doing a search for Rock Amps.

I had one of the original ones from back in the '70s...if my recollection is accurate, I had serial #18.

I took mine on tour with me to Canada in '81 and got the greatest tone from it (at the time, anyway).

Seeing photos of them again really makes me miss my old one (I'd sold mine when I got back from the tour in '81...regret ever getting rid of it!)

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.