DIY Wireless Guitar Pedal - Help.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

My mate and I are entering the Australian Science Talent Quest (www.stav.vic.gov.au - it think, then follow links - if not google 'stav'), and we came up with the idea of a wireless guitar pedal.

This will enable guitarists (and maybe even other musicians such as bass guitarists, mandolinists (is there such thing???) etc etc) to move around freely on the stage without the hassle of a lead following him/her, but also allowing the musician to have a range of pedals to use.

This was my idea. The guitar will have a wireless transmitter (found a great one on Jaycar - http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=kj8750&CATID=25&form=CAT&SUBCATID=598) which will connect via a 1/4 male jack (need 2 no how to connect the make jack to this transmitter).

The pedal will have a receiver (trying to find one somewhere - if som1 knows how to make one on a budget please tell me). Unsure of what the pedal will be; i was thinking wah, but i got an old Ibanez wah/ fuzz pedal already. I also got a Boss Overdrive/fuzz pedal - probably looking for something new, cool, and can be easily adapted to Rock and blues genres of music - open to any ideas.

The pedal will then have another transmitter (found a cheaper one for the pedal on jaycar 2 - http://jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?FORM=KEYWORD), but as musicians may want more pedals attached to their pedal, the last wire to the transmitter has some sort of 2 way switch (is there such thing???? I'm kinda new to all this electronic suff - only know the basics), where it will divert the information to a 1/4 female jack thingy, where extra pedals can be added. Then the last of the other pedals has a lead coming back into another female jack on the pedal, which is connected to the transmitter (make sense???? if not, ill make a crappy draying of it - cant read or write those drawings yet - u no the ones that start with 's' - hopeless, i no)

My amp (or any other amp) will have another reciever connected into it via the female jack.

I hope that made sense. Anyway, ive got a few questions which i need answers to.

First of all, will i need to have a balancer of some sort in the pedal/on the transmitters? i head it gets rid of humming or something. Just wondering if ill need it. I did find the scematics or whateva they are of a transmitter and receiver on the net - http://sound.westhost.com/project51.htm
what do you think of it??

Secondly the sound-to-noise ratio. If im right, its the ratio of the sound being made over background noise. I think i have to make it as high as i can (within limits??......)

Thirdly, the transmitter on the guitar - i don't want it like most where its a box and you need to attatch it to your strap. Their a pain in the @$# and i really hate them. The transmitter that i found at Jaycar is 70mm x 17mm - i wat thinking of putting it in a kinda tube shape - much like the male jack part on a Jim Dunlop 1/4 jack lead. I like the shape and it should fit in most Fender style jacks and all Gibson style jacks (note - the male jack would poke out the flat side of this shape - i may get a drawing of it up soon).

Also, i was worried about the to signals being sent from the guitar to the pedal, and the pedal to the amp, interfering with each other. Would this be a problem or am i just making some bulldust up??

Lastly, i was reading a thread about som1 making a DIY transmitter and Receiver, and just wanted to no if any problems said on it may happen to mine. The guy writting it obviously new more that me and i wasn't sure what was going on.

Sorry bout the overy long thread, but i needed to tell you all the info i knew so far.

Oh and by the way, i have to submit the pedal by August (i think the 21st), so it cant take ages to build.

Additional info

Hey

4got to add a few things

4 starters, i also found a Bass, Treble & Volume controller on it - found another at Jaycar, however it sais its mono, and needs two to become stereo. Should i do this, or get a stereo one (if there is such thing). Below is its description:

Bass, Treble & Volume Controller

This module enables you to add Volume and Tone control to any line level (IV) amp. The circuit consists of an input buffer, a Baxandall-type bass-treble network and output voltage divider type level control. It will give up to line level out. Mono - Two required for stereo.
QTY
1+ $10.00
5+ $8.75

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also, how would i attatch it to my circiut???

Next, i don't exactly know how to make your own PCB board - just want it to be plain and simple and cheap, however not too cheam (u no what i mean...)

Thirdly, i would like to know how to come up with my own pedal? I'm assuming a lot of pedals on here people have come up with the circuit and s forth. Just wanted to know where to put what where??? I'm guessing it takes years to learn this stuff, so i think im gonna get a circuit plan thingy off the net.

Would greatly appreciate any help/advice

sry bout the nooby questions - im a kid and dont no much about electronics yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.