could my boss gt6 blow up a 1200w beringer PA head????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey all...new here and in a predicament...

I play guitar and I was around my friendes last night having a rehearsal when all manner of strange things happened...

He's got lots of electronic PA equipment, some of which was his dads, and we're getting things together for a gig we have coming up in July. We were both going through Boss GT6's into his Beringer PA head... I think it's an E5000, but not certain of the exact model. I'm playing an Ibanez S470DXRM with a MoJoe bridge humbucker. He was using his Gibson Explorer. There were only the guitars and 2 Mic's going into the PA and then into a Peavey speaker.

The set up was no different to any other week and I'd been using my gear earlier in the day with no problems.

My guitar wasn't quite loud enough so I changed the setting from combo amp to PA/Phones and the PA shut down. There was no power so we checked the fuse which was blown and tried another fuse... and smoke came out of the PA with that horrible smell of burning electronics.........

We plugged into his old Peavey PA and carried on but after a couple of minutes that cut out as well. It's not known to be the most reliable PA though so we left it and it came back on later. Then we plugged into his dads PA which is very old but totally reliable and again, after a few minutes it tripped out.

I unplugged all my gear and he carried on for a good 15 minutes with no problems.

So...could it be my gear that is causing the problems and if so what kind of output should I be getting from it in terms of amps, volts etc? And is there a simple way of checking it? Is there any way a Boss GT6 could blow up a PA??? And will it be safe to plug into my Marshall??

Many thanks guys

Billy

check dc volts in all outputs of ur gt6 and in all different modes of output(u should lower volumes on amps when switching devices on off even inserting jacks or changing modes on pres)but the amp dont seem to have the best behavior about protection)....is it going thru a mixer??hmmmmmmm,are u telling all the details?

Marco
guitar drums bass synths programming sequencing capturing looping blah blah blah

i use a crown power base two on a peavey 1810 black widow and a peavey tnt 130 as pre amp and mid/high amp for bi-amping the peavey 1810,,,,but all the cares with ground loops have to be checked or else even if the amp dont fail i'll have to get new speakers........

peace

Attachments

• p1010275.jpg
    p1010275.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 150
It was a Behringer (sorry about my misspelling earlier) Europower PMP 5000 mixer that we were going through and that burnt out.

I was playing through my GT6 and my marshall MG50DFX amp today and nothing blew up...

Any ideas as to the sort of volts I should be getting from the GT6?

Thanks again guys

well,my pre amp i consider it bad in dc value,after one hour swings beetwen -0.007 and +0.011 mv,if i recollect....i guess the power supply of those mixers aren't so great(i've read around)....u take dc values on your gt6 without any signal on it ,on bypass mode.....around here i guess there's something about problems with those mixers,boards are not so perfect( i own some gear of them)...hey but if ur interested searh here and you'll have much better comments then mine.....i'm just a curious around here still...........

Apart from the Boss pedal - what else is common to the set up when 3 different amps have been used - and shut down?

Check the speaker and the wiring to it - make sure that it is OK. If you have a meter - switch it to a low ohms range and measure across the jack plug that would be plugged into the amp(s) - with the speaker connected to the other end.

How many ohms do you read?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.