Quad II build for guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I'm very new to the diy audio scene, and I'm thinking about building a Quad II. Has anyone done this?

I found a schematic online: http://www.dc-daylight.ltd.uk/Valve-Audio-Interest/Schematics/QUAD-II.pdf

Does that look accurate?

And my final question, Would this be a good choice to use for a guitar, as a standalone amp? if not, I'd probably still build it for the purpose of listening to music and build another amp for my guitar.

Thanks.

If you are new to 'building from scratch', a low power tube amp for your guitar would be the place to start- lots of simple designs for tube guitar amps are out there, tried and true. You can build from a kit or from scratch with used parts, or....
And guitar amps are mono, so half the parts count - more or less.

Guitar amp (and guitar speaker)-not hifi- for guitar.

If necessary, you can listen to music (mono) through the guitar amp, but guitar through a hifi sounds terrible.

When you move to the hifi amp build- something low-power will be cheaper than the Quad and sound as good/better with the right speakers.

Welcome to diy!

John

SSalem said:
Hi everyone, I'm very new to the diy audio scene, and I'm thinking about building a Quad II. Has anyone done this?

I found a schematic online: http://www.dc-daylight.ltd.uk/Valve-Audio-Interest/Schematics/QUAD-II.pdf

Does that look accurate?

And my final question, Would this be a good choice to use for a guitar, as a standalone amp? if not, I'd probably still build it for the purpose of listening to music and build another amp for my guitar.

Thanks.

While building a "Quad II" replica is not impossible, there are several reasons why this is not a good idea, especially for use as a guitar amplifier.

For starters, the "correct" transformers are very expensive.

Second, a guitar amplifier has peculiar characteristics which make it suitable for guitar but not for hifi. eg the distortion and overload characteristics.

Have a look at the FENDER CHAMP, transformers can be found on the internet and it is cheap to build.

Andy

Re: Re: Quad II build for guitar

poynton said:

While building a "Quad II" replica is not impossible, there are several reasons why this is not a good idea, especially for use as a guitar amplifier.

For starters, the "correct" transformers are very expensive.

Second, a guitar amplifier has peculiar characteristics which make it suitable for guitar but not for hifi. eg the distortion and overload characteristics.

Have a look at the FENDER CHAMP, transformers can be found on the internet and it is cheap to build.

Andy

And thank you, too. I appreciate all the advice i can get. A Quad 2 replica is looking less and less appealing.

Also, just googling "quad ii transformers", I found this site: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6722/quadspares.html

They have a guy who has transformers for 95 pounds. I'm not going for it, but if this can help anyone....

A good source for guitar amp transformers (I used them in an RH84 hifi amp and they sounded good there as well) at a very reasonable price is Matt Sespaniak .

Hoffman amps is also a reliable supplier for amp parts.

However,if you can get something closer to home, you will avoid the shipping costs, so look around. Anything 'close' in specs will work OK in a Champ or similar small amp.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.