Marshall volume drop off help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. Newb here. Trying very hard to learn to tech. Have had good luck w/ pedals, solid states, and other audio gear. Never messed with tubes. But I DO understand discharging caps.

I have a Marshall that plays just fine except the volume is muted quite a bit. When I touch any pot, the volume normalizes(is the correct loudness) I think it is some sort of short. Am I right? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help. I am reading a lot, working a lot, and trying hard to learn, so any help is appreciated.

It's not a short, more likely a dry joint or fracture or faulty switch or socket you are disturbing. Something mechanical, as touching an insulated knob should have no electrical effect.

A shotgun technique is to resolder every solder joint in sight. Otherwise poke around inside with an INSULATED probe with the amp on and see if you can localise the fault. BE CAREFUL. Keep one hand in your pocket.

You can sometimes see tiny sparks at a dry joint if you examine the amp in the pitch dark.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.