What do I need to run a signal from guitar into a Windows PC Line In

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to play with software effect modeling.

As such, do I need to boost the signal from the guitar pickup before it hits the line-in of my soundblaster audigy 2 sound card? If so, can someone suggest a circuit that does what I ned and nothing more / less. Or even a cheap/readily available device. ... Or can I plug it in via a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

I'm probably more proficient at building tube circuits , though SS is okay too.

Thanks.

Hi,

Rather than build something that will match impedance and add gain, look at a USB or Firewire "Audio Interface".

This is the best way to bring in audio files into software recording and effects packages! They have input(s) for instruments and mics and usually have preamps to add gain and they take care of the impedance problems. They start at $50 USD up to the sky depending on how many channels you want to record on simultaneously and the quality of the ADC and Preamp(s). When you mic an amplifier with an electric guitar, you also get the room ambiance and it sounds more real, so try that with a good mic too.

You will get significantly better results this way, rather than through your soundcard.

Also look at the Line 6 Pods for the Interface. They also have tons of software for modeling.

Good luck!

Regards///Keith

I'm with Keith; In that for not much money, you can get it done, vs fabricating something.
Including:
A D/I box and a mini mixer into the PC soundcard line level input.
Some side benefits: You can mix in other things and do some board EQ etc.
A Behringer X V-AMP Guitar Effects Processor would also do it fairly cheaply, with some added features.
( Used sound equipment is very cheap right now )

I have an active electronics design that might be suitable... it is small enough to actually fit in your guitar and runs off of a 9v battery and you can replace the gain set resistor with a Trim pot or a regular pot for adjustable gain and has a low impedance output....

it"s pretty simple but works pretty good...

Actgit-pre-pcb.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.