My Latest DIY (Mostly) guitar Amp/Head!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have built a few Solid State guitar amps over the last couple years , All of which I designed and built myself useing my very limited electronics knowlege..A couple of these amps turned out pretty good but they all pretty much had a very limited variety of tones that I could get out of them and didn"t really have the right tones or the power to play live on stage....

So I decided I would try building a Guitar Preamp Kit (Have never built a kit before) and put a Power amp after that to build a guitar amp..after looking at the very limited options in this area I decided to buy the "Stack In A Box" kit from PAiA...It Is a Solid State/Tube hybrid Preamp..It has an Opamp driveing a Starved Plate (45v)12AX7 Tube ,and it has a couple more opamps for the Speaker Simulation options and the Ballanced out...The Kit came with NE5532 Opamps but I changed the input opamp to a TL072 Fet opamp... I also increased the available Gain by 1000%....

The Kit doesn"t have Proper Tone controlls so Instead of Looking for a Tone controll Kit I bought a cheap Mono 15 Band EQ to integrate into the amp for tone controlls..The EQ Is pretty cheap but it sounds good and has lots of featured (Notch Filters, Shelving Filters, High pass/Low Pass ect)

For the power amp section I ended up useing a TDA7293 which is a 100W Mosfet power amp..I am useing the datasheet Curcuit and the Datasheet PCB design, I am useing a 200Va 2x28v Transformer (2X42v DC) with 20,000uf Capacitance per Rail..It should put out 100W according to the datasheet....

Anyways here is a Pic...

DVC00361.jpg

How does it Sound??? FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I brought it over to my Buddies place yesterday and plugged it into his Marshal 4x12 Cabnet and it sounded great and with the EQ I can make it sound like His 1973 Marshal or his Mesa Dual Rec...It really has the most versitle tonal posibilites of allmost any amp I have played , I can even get it to sound good through a Crappy speaker....
And It is LOUD , I was only able to get it to 5 through the 4x12 before it was too loud to comfortably stand....
I"m really happy with this one....

Cheers

Congrats Minion, i really like your setup. I have a couple TDA7294's and LM3886's kicking around and was really thinking of making a guitar amp with one or the other, looks like i may try the TDA's to start and a old Eq that is collecting dust (hope you dont mind me borrowing your idea...) Got any inside pics?

Rock On!

Dave

Hi, Yea go ahead use the Idea...I don"t have any Pics of the inside (which is probably good because it isn"t exactly the prettiest job...lol ..But very functional and has very little hum , well probably as much hum as any guitar amp) all I can really do is provide schematics for the Preamp and the Power amp and PSU....

Actually if you want you can go to the PAiA Site and they have the schematic for the "Stack In a Box" for download ,and the power amp was straight out of the TDA7293 Datasheet and used the PCB from the Datasheet...and the PSU is a simple 15a Bridge with 2 10,000uF Caps per Rail and a 200Va 28v 0v 28v Transformer..the PCB was so simple that all I did was carve the simple traces into the PCB material with a Dremmel.....all of the Power amp Parts were scavenged from a busted Logitech 5.1 system....

I also have my amp set up so I can just use the Preamp or the EQ or the power amp or any combination of the 3....

Anyways good luck....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.