Tube buffer before pre-amp/amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any kind of kit out there? A friend of mine has a few keyboards but keeps the volume a little bit low in my opinion, but they are too overpowering harsh to really turn up as well. I am thinking a tube buffer that can be used after all the pedals and stuff, right before the pre-amp/amp would really make it pleasant.

OK, the ebay item is interesting, but it's for HiFi application, not musical instrument amplification, not to say it won't work, but it is CLEAN amplification, and will add very little or no warmth if driven as intended. Huge overload margin, it says.

What exactly do you want this tube stage to do? It will not give you volume without harshness. This is more likely the result of an overstressed amplifier or speakers, although it may be the keyboard itself. I would try a bigger amplifier (I don't often recommend this) and bigger speakers combined with judicious use of the tone controls. You can keep it turned down and get the volume in a more relaxed manner.

Listen to the keyboard with headphones to see if the sound is satisfactory in it's own right. If it's no good, you can't fix it, nohow.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.