need info on how to convert my bogen k10 for guitars use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi!

i have an old bogen pa amp model k10 , and i wanted to know
what i need to do to convert for guitar use.

i have play around with some old console amps and know just enough to do some recaps and some basic electronics.
anyway hope someone will get me in the right direction..

I would first try it with a guitar and see what isn't good enough. There's no gold standard for a guitar amp--some people really like a HiFi amp for jazz, while others want an amp that sounds like a clock radio + speaker in the critical overload zone. Generally the PAs are closer to HiFi, but often have frequencies adjusted for efficiency. Some PAs operate in near class B, so you'll have to examine the bias arrangement and/or tinker with it if it sounds too distorted...you'll lose watts to clean it up, generally. Most of the circuit will be a good design already, I just recommend examining the coupling cap values and tone stack to fit your taste. Also, watch those 70v line terminals, they are AC just like a wall plug, and can kill you. Many US states require a certified electrician to run the wires for a 70v PA, because it does pose a risk.

Have fun and happy modding, there's no right answer when it comes to a musical instrument amp, because the amp is part of the musical instrument!

tim614 said:
im not a musician my bro is , and so i know nothing about guitar amps.i just wanted to see how i can get it to work for a guitar,
like how do i go about puting in a phono plug for the guitar would be a good start .

Yes, a good start. Plug in and ask if he likes it, and whet needs to be improved.
Fender schematics are actually very simple so you may want later to rebuild it for a guitar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.