Cheap guitar amp kits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Down in the "1st build, kit or no kit" thread, I was advocating for starting with an old PA amp. They're such a cheap source of quality iron and chassis. The inputs on the unit I found at a the appliance recyclers are marked: Pulpet, Lecturn, Alter and Choir and Basement. I bet it was used only an hour a week, as the original power tubes still have 2/3 of their life left in 'em. Not a single component had been fixed or replaced, though they did make some stupid mods (why did they add an L-pad on the outputs and wire it to an RCA jack?). I bet whatever they replaced it with won't last nearly as long as it would have with a few cheap updates.

pj

Hi Lowtherdream,

I have dealt with Matt at Triodeelectronics many times. He is very good. Honest, reliable and fast. Never had a problem.

If you are looking for the whole kit including chassis and cabinet, have a look at these guys -

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/

They are excellent. The kits are extremely well organised and they have everything that you need, down to the last washer! The quality of the reproduction cabinets is very high also (judging by the one that I have). They may cost a bit more but the end product will be high quality.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for all the leads. I'm not really looking for any AX84 related stuff, I'm only interested in cloning a classic amp, but it's great to find out what's out there.

BTW pjanda1, there's an even better choice for donor amps than PA amps out there. I bought an old Knight amp a few years back, and it's basically just a "hifi" amp built out of commodity guitar amp parts. Even the enclosure is essentially a combo amp chassis with a custom cover so it sits horizontally. :D

There are an abundance of kits available for most of the "classic" fender tweed and blackface series as well as marshall types from the 18watter to 45s and 100s.

I don't have all the links but you could start with.

Weber Speakers [Ted Weber's website] fairly inexpensive kits

Mission Amps. [very well reviewed 5E3 kits]

Allen Amplification [ more expensive "blackface" types intellegenty modified]

MOJO

and the list goes on and on and on

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.