Any Guitarists Here or WannaBes like me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have hardly been here at DIY because my other passion (from as long as I can remember) is playing guitar.

I have been hanging at: http://www.vanderbilly.com/

They are new but are starting a gear review area and maybe it might help with what to clone and copy for amps and effects! Did I say that?

They also have many instructional song videos for both lead and rhythm if you want to learn whatever songs they offer. The list is over 500 videos and growing fast. I found a few I want to learn.

I do need to get back to my projects and electronics education here. My CD players ain't gonna improve themselves and who's gonna re cap my tuner anyway?

I don't know if anyone would be interested but I figured maybe it might help someone else.

Regards//Keith

Hey Sy,

I'm glad someone other than me can use some help!

Two years ago I had surgery and got a Bilateral Brachial Plexus Injury. Basically they damaged the median nerves to my arms and hands. My hands were paralyzed for 9 months and since have been improving gradually. I still type with my ring fingers and the sensation feels like electricity. Something you all hate and I live with!

I was playing pretty well after a few years of lessons and then the surgery. I am excited because I can play again (not well yet).

Trust me... we can be in the same group! Where we pay them to listen! LOL

Regards//Keith

Hey Geek,

Funny you should mention that (colaborate) because that's how I found that site.

I was looking for videos of guitar players (Google Video and YouTube) doing covers of songs I wanted to learn. Sometimes you can see or they focus the camera on their hands. Then I can figure the chords and what position (sometimes).

I love "Ten Years Gone" by Led Zeppelin, so I started looking and then I found a cool concept, Virtual Zeppelin. One of the guys in Virtual Zeppelin is the guy who started the Vanderbilly.com web-site. They also do "The Lemon Song" Check it out too.

Check out this video, I'm sure we could be just as effective with our playing ability and electonics knowledge to scare more than mice away. I'm thinkin bats, roaches, aliens, people and the whole gamut! LOL

Enjoy: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...tual+Zeppelin&ei=1GVzSIWPCJP8rAKn7bSmDg&hl=en

BTW, what do you think about the Vox AD15VT for a practice amp? They also have the hopped up -XL version too?

Regards//Keith

Electronics is easy. I've been doing it for 30+ years. When you don't know something you just look it up or find somebody smarter and ask 'em. It's a brain activity, no real physical skills required. I can almost see the current flow in wires and the by the time you get all the test equipment you want, you have the experience not to need most of it.

Now, guitar is hard hard hard. A few weeks ago I bought a used MIM Strat at a flea market, foolishly thinking it would be fun to learn to play it. Even through a little Roland practice cube it makes the most wonderful sounds, but getting these stiff fingers to go where they need to go, much less playing chords without muting the strings, appears to require divine intervention. If I started 30 years ago maybe it would seem easy, but I've this nagging feeling that 300 years might be needed to get any real proficiency. It has taught me one thing- a real guitar in your lap is better than any stereo system I've heard to date.

Conrad,

You can't give up! Keep going! Also get a decent Acoustic guitar too!

My hands were absolutely useless (you had to see me destroy op-amps while removing them from the PCB). I started a thread shortly after about using a drill to clean up the mess I made with the holes on the PCB. You stopped in, maybe you remember! LOL

It gets easier, faster than you think! There are some easy songs at that site. If you ever need help, email me and I'd be glad to! You ALWAYS help me and many others.

Take a song like "Wounded Bird" Graham Nash. Three chords and they only use 4 strings each! No Barre Chords or jazz voicings. Just plain easy and exactly like Graham played it!

Just think, playing guitar and all that electronics knowledge and experience and what you can do with it! You know an Alien repeller just might come in handy someday.

I'd be happy with a mouse repeller but the things you could do! LOL

Keep going! No is not acceptable!

Regards//Keith

Hi Keith,

KP11520 said:
BTW, what do you think about the Vox AD15VT for a practice amp? They also have the hopped up -XL version too?

I haven't played that one yet, though I want to go on a VOX test binge when the new L&M get into town.

People over at Guitars Canada seem to be giving it an "OK" stamp though :)

Hi Conrad,

Now, guitar is hard hard hard. A few weeks ago I bought a used MIM Strat at a flea market, foolishly thinking it would be fun to learn to play it.

If I try and "learn", I can't play. When I got my Strat (well, a knockoff) to test amps, I tried playing some songs I heard by ear. Of course I messed up lots, but also stumbled on some pretty cool improvisions along the way. Next thing you know, I knew a few songs to entertain the parents on Christmas :D

Sometimes we try too hard.

Cheers!

Hi Geek,

Is OK just OK or does that mean highly recommended?

Let me know when you binge! LOL

Yeah you are right. Just enjoy the guitar.

Perfectionism is discouraging when learning and actually will cause you to walk away quickly. Maybe it is great for electronics design and mods but for learning any Physical skill, save that for the other end of the journey or there will be no journey!

Enjoy fellas!

Regards//Keith

Hi all, had to chime in... I'm just coming from the other direction (I was a studio guitar/recording engineering major for 13yrs in college) now I find myself becoming more and more involved in the equipment side of things. Right now I'm doing a lot of complaining for a new tube amp manufacturer (needs more gain ;) ), that's a lot of fun, I basically get him to build me my dream amp and I'm learning amp repair and design at the same time. Just remember, beginning to learn something new is the hardest part, you'll struggle and struggle and then one day you'll pick up your guitar and it will just feel natural and effortless...

Dave

KP11520 said:
I have hardly been here at DIY because my other passion (from as long as I can remember) is playing guitar.

I have been hanging at: http://www.vanderbilly.com/

They are new but are starting a gear review area and maybe it might help with what to clone and copy for amps and effects! Did I say that?

They also have many instructional song videos for both lead and rhythm if you want to learn whatever songs they offer. The list is over 500 videos and growing fast. I found a few I want to learn.

I do need to get back to my projects and electronics education here. My CD players ain't gonna improve themselves and who's gonna re cap my tuner anyway?

I don't know if anyone would be interested but I figured maybe it might help someone else.

Regards//Keith

hi KP11520,

Thanks for sharing useful information.;)

+1

I'm getting a Agile Les Paul clone and a Fender Vibro Champ so my wife and I can start learning. Those of you with guitars already check out this site.
www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

I figure this hobby will be great because I can tinker with both the amp and guitar. I'm already planning on replacing the tone pots on the guitar for linear pots and adding a standby switch and tone bypass push/pull switch on the treble pot.

Great thread, I'm glad to see that I won't be the only one keeping the neighbours up :)

It it FOR the chicks ;-)

Hey peeps

I doubt I will ever learn to really play anything, but that is NOT why I bought a guitar. My main interest is playing with the electronics. I am an analog EE by trade. My rhythm comes in 12 oz bottles.

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul. The real guitar players at work say I have abetter guitar than they, but I paid $100 from Craigslist.org

I built my own first amp, an LM3886 design. Works well, I had PCBs made.

So, simply blissfully incompetent :) But having fun!

Mouse repellant

Vanderbilly is an excellent resource, thanks for the tip. I thought I should warn you though that while guitars may repel mice be very careful if you are going down the blues route and think about commiting harmonica - I have on two occasions had mice come into the house to find out what the noise was...

and no I don't wear pied clothing and I have never been to Hamlet...

If you're just starting out and just trying to learn a few tunes a program(free) called powertab editor can be quite helpful. Powertabs are just like any other tabs, but with the program you actually have the real notation above the tab, and you can play it back, slow it down, etc.. Helps you learn a bit more about music in general than just a regular tab would:) They also tend to be of higher quality....Most of the time;)

Doug,

Look up bar(or barre) chords, power chords, and palm muting for the chord parts, and then hammer on's/pull off's, trill(or trilling), bending, and vibrato for the solo stuff... The song looks flashy, but there's nothing too advanced about it....Might take you some time if you're just starting out though, especially the the solo bits, but it would be a fun song to start out with. If I was you i'd start with the chord parts, then tackle the slower lead part from roughly 1:30ish-2:04 just to learn some of those techniques on something slower, then tackle the first solo and last lead part:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.