ibanez SR head thickness <>?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try Talkbass.com . Lots of good people and info and ther is even a luthiers forum where lots of project basses are built and discussed.

Much as though I love Ibby basses (I have several - see avatar) I'm puzzled as to why you want to copy an SR and not simply design it to your own tates.

Hi Woodbuilder,

The head thickness is exactly 9/16 of an inch. If you need this in metric you can do the calculation.

The side view picture of your neck shows a rear reinforcing ridge that appears to be too small. On my neck the measurement from the rear bottom edge of the nut to the top of the reinforcing ridge is 1 inch.

I will post the two new measurements tomorrow.

The other poster is correct. Talkbass is a great forum.

GL

On a general note, I have played guitar for over 40 years and bass as second instrument for over 15. I am a woodworker and I've built a number of electric and acoustic guitars but never a bass.

Ideally, building a bass would have been my preferred choice. But for various reasons buying was the necessary course of action.

I purchased the SR1005 about two months ago after two years of shopping. I played about 50 basses including some very expensive ones. I chose this instrument for the following reasons:

1) It handles extremely quickly. That means that it feels smaller than it is. It also means that your hands and arms fall easily into a very comfortable playing position.

2) The neck contour is the best I tried. It plays more like a guitar than a bass. Very fast and easy.

3) It has active pickups and a great EQ circuit. Very clean sound that works particularly well straight into a house mixer.

4) The sound of the instrument is consistent in tone (timbre) and level over the entire neck. This was a really big, big issue for me.

5) It is good looking. It is amazing how many bass guitars are incredibly ugly. One wonders if this is by deliberate design or whether bass designers just have no artistic sense.

So there I am in the music store knowing that I would much prefer to do the DIY thing with my next bass. Then I pick up the SR1005 and within a minute or two arrive at the opinions expressed above. Add to that my need to have a better instrument now rather than two years from now. So I ask myself: Do I buy this instrument that feels and sounds just right or do I take a risky two year journey.

I bought it.

But I am going to build one too. At this point I can take my time, plus I have a better idea of where I would go with the project.

Just one more thing. I played the SR905 (now discontinued - but the store still had one) as well as the SR1005. The two guitars looked to be almost the same shape. It made you wonder if the they were made on the same line and at the end Ibby decided to paint the ones with less attractive wood and call them 905's. That's how close they looked. However, the two basses felt very very different. The 905 neck in particular felt thicker and slower even though it didn't look that much different if at all. Very strange but very real.

GL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.