Computer DJ laptop vs. slimline PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, I was debating weather to buy a laptop or put together a slimline PC for mobile DJing. Cost being a main factor here, I think I could put together a better system from a slimline PC and a 15" monitor. Upgrading and replacing parts would be super cheap compared to the laptop but the tradeoff is the weight. However a downfall to the PC would be the lack of batteries. But I guess that shouldn't be a problem because in the event of a black out, the power amps would turn off as well. Let me hear your comments.

I think i would go for a laptop -

They are more robust for carrying about
and when closed they dont need extra cases to transport them.
I wouldnt like to carry a LCD monitor without a case and the slimline PC would also need its own case.

Just my view

Tony

one problem with laptop is the cheap audio cards usually put in them. I know with my own personal experience there is grounding issues with them sometimes when the AC power supply is plugged in. If you use a external usb DAC (or build your own using a PCM2902 or equivalent) you should be alright. I would go with an actual pc, memory and hard drives are cheaper. build a nice case to fit it all and im sure you will be happy. just my $0.02

Dave

Unless you need PCI slots, I think a laptop would be the way to go. A laptop is obviously more portable, but another advantage of a laptop is it's built in UPS (the battery). If someone trips on the cord or the power goes out for a second you don't have to worry about it rebooting.

I'm going to use a behringer bcd3000, so I won't be using the computers soundcard. I am looking at an HP d530 small form factor PC and a 15" lcd for $175CAN together. I don't like the idea of using a laptop with an external USB harddrive, it just makes me nervous. I think a good ol harddrive on IDE cable is going to be trouble free and have more bandwidth. Also, the PC setup is good ergonomically since it elevates the controller and I wouldn't have to bend down as much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.